Revolver deep cleaning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old revolver. Before I owned it, it was the property of some police department in Puerto Rico, and they didn't take horribly good care of it. I've never seen the internals, but I imagine they're dirty.

I know that you had better know what you're doing when you take the sideplate off of a Smith, because the internals are all kinds of complex, and I'm not comfortable actually removing any parts for cleaning. Should I be OK just taking the sideplate off and hosing everything down with Gun Scrubber? Or is this something I should pay a gunsmith to do?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Untill you know where everything goes it would be better to pay to have it done.

The hammer block will be the first thing to fall out and getting it back can be a real pain, even when you do know what you are doing.

I can do a deep cleaning on it for $45 or you can run it up to Stan (Traxxis) and he can do it while you wait and show you where everything goes.

Once it is deep cleaned you only need it done once a year, the rest of the time you just clean it out with your cleaning kit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom