Help pick woman's first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been asked to provide some assistance in picking the first pistol for a brand new shooter ... a young woman whom I really know nothing about. This will be used for self defense/concealed carry. We are going to stick with 9x19. We're trying to maintain a budget of about $500. Some of the pistols that have come up for consideration are:

Glock 26
Beretta PX4
S&W M&P compact
Springfield XD subcompact

I would appreciate your input ... pros and cons of the pistols I have listed, or give me some other ideas. I know that H&H lists all of the aforementioned pistols on their rental list, so she could try them before purchasing.

Thanks for your assistance!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Glock 26, but I carry the XD 9mm now. I really like it. I think they are all good guns that she is looking at. If this is her first hand gun and she does not have alot of practice, I would look at some 38 snubs. I just bought my mom a Ruger LCR and she loves it. She wanted a Taurus pt111 9mm like my wife has, but she does not have the shooting time to do what would be needed in an emergency. The snub is a point and shoot. If she was to have a bad round in the gun, she can just pull the trigger again.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd sorta lean to that MP Compact. I've been seeing women shoot those in matches in the OKC area a little.
The MP grip is seems to favor smaller hands and it's got the back strap option.

XDs are a little thicker (at least they feel that way to me)

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would suggest she go to H & H or any well stocked gunstore and fondle all the likely looking guns until she finds one that feels good to her. Be sure she has no problem with handling the slide, if she chooses a semi-auto.

Once she has narrowed the list down to a couple, then shoot them. The best gun for her should become apparent.

I always encourage a new shooter to gain access to a .22 of some type so they can shoot lots to build up the basic skills at lesser recoil and lesser expense. Running a thousand rounds through a .22, while concentrating on basics will really help any new shooter.

I also suggest that, after she makes the purchase, she enroll in a NRA Basic Pistol course, so she has a good start in safety and knowledge of ammunition and gun handling.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The woman needs to pick her gun. Go to H&H or Heartland and rent several, then pick the one that fits her best. A lot of guys have good intentions but check out www.cornered cat.com and read a couple of articles. It's a mistake to pick one for her. Been there, done that.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like either the G26 or the M&P 9c. Think she'll be ok with racking the slide on a little auto?

I don't know. That's one thing we definitely want to check out. My wife has no trouble with the slide on my G22, but that's her. On the other hand, she has a terrible time with the Beretta 9000S and the Makarov.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot all except the PX4. My favorite (small CCW) is not on your list...the Walther PPS. Nice and thin, easy to conceal, great shooter, easy for those with small hands to get a good grip. Retails around $590 on Buds. I sold my Glock 19 and S&W M&P compact for the Walther and have no regrets. Love this gun.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The woman needs to pick her gun. Go to H&H or Heartland and rent several, then pick the one that fits her best.

+1 for this. I tried to guide my wife toward snub 38's, thinking she wouldn't really practice. But, turns out I'm wrong and she wants to shoot a lot. Now she has a Glock 17 that she handles just fine (better than plenty of men I've seen at the range).

I would have picked the wrong gun.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless the girl is willing to practice quite a bit, a semiauto is a bad idea; a revolver is less likely to malfunction. Also, some women aren't strong enough to rack the slide on a semiauto.

The woman of which you speak ideally would go to a shooting range where they sold and rented guns and try some out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom