Got a double...Long range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a double tonight!
I have permission to hunt a bean field that they didn't harvest because of the drought, but it still brings in the deer.
Saw 19 on it the other evening.
The landowner has a ground blind set up, so I got in it at 1400 hrs.
Nothing happened until 1720 hrs, and a group of does walked out into the field. Way the heck out there.

I reload and chronograph my loads, and have a ballistics table taped to my stock for the 30-06 165 grain HPBT.
The does were at 412 yds. Looked at the table, got a good rest and shot. By the time I got my scope back down on the target, there were does running everywhere, but two of them stopped.
Kept waiting for one of them to drop, but they didn't act like either of them were hurt, so ranged them again, and took the shot at 364 yds.
CRACK! the sound of the bullet hitting the deer was impressive, and it fell to the ground DRT. I could see the tail.

Walked out to the doe, ranged back to the blind, and confirmed the distance. Looked to the South, and there was another laying there. :D:D Seemed I didn't see the other one that was smaller and fell into a slight depression.

First one was a high shoulder shot that dropped it, and the second doe was a little further back, but still a spine shot.

Its not where I calculated the bullet to be, but a kill never the less. I don't have a long range range, and have to use the figures from the ballistics table taped to the stock. Cold weather may have made a difference?

Got them dragged out with the 3 wheeler, field dressed, Loaded, and back home. :D
The first pic was in the field, where my battery died after one photo. The second shows two, and I have to apologize for the disarray shown. I'm getting a new shop built, and the stuff from the old building is stuffed in this shop. Its a mess right now.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom