What's Your Opinion On A Thumb Safety For CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mine? I'm starting to not get hip on the idea... I'm thinking of moving to a DA/SA setup... Something with a decocker. Like the CZ P07.

The idea of draw and shoot without the need to disengage the safety is more appealing to me.

Any other non-safety or decocker guns you'd recommend for CCW? My preferred caliber is 9mm.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decocker pistols would also include HK. I'm not a fan, but many are. Just thought I would throw them in the mix.

Don't the Sig 226/229 have decockers as well?

I personally like the simpler manual of arms of a no active safety CCW (XD, Glock, Revolver, etc...) but the thumb safety is no biggie as long as you train to proficiency with it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you practice with your CCW then it's not a problem. It's become second nature to me to the point I look for a thumbsafety when I carry a glock periodically.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try an H&K P7. Very accurate and safe. If you like decockers I'd go with the Sig's. For light carry DA....Walther PPS. Glocks are good guns, but personally I'm not a huge fan (very reliable, but just don't feel good in my hands).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of thimb safeties on a CCW pistol. I've just seen too many good shooters at matches on a rare occasion, under stress, have issues getting the gun to go bang rapidly due to external manual controls that must be manipulated before firing. With that said, I do carry a 3913 with a safety/decocker. I always leave the safety off so I can draw and fire without moving the safety. The holster I use has a notch that prevents the safety from being engaged inadvertently while holstered, otherwise I wouldn't carry it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom