Building 24" AR in 223 to shoot 1000yds. Scope Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadesdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently building my 2nd AR-15. This one is going to have a 24" barrel, and I want to be able to shoot at 1000 yards. No doubt it will require practice on my part, but I need a good scope.

My friend who is helping me build it suggests the Nikon M-223 and it is pretty tempting.

I have about $600 to spend. I would apprecaite your suggestions.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 would not be my first, second, or third choice for that distance. Before you drop the dough for some glass, I would rethink the caliber choice. My $0.02

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man if you want some distance out of an AR look at the 6.5 Grendel. It may cost you a little more to build, but it would get you there far better than the .223.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man if you want some distance out of an AR look at the 6.5 Grendel. It may cost you a little more to build, but it would get you there far better than the .223.

That would be my suggestion as well. If you already have an AR, the Grendel will fit on your lower, so you could use the extra money for a better scope. Plus, the Grendel round has a great BC and is still supersonic at 1000 yards.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of what the others have said, shooting 1000 yards with the .223 is very possible.

Hitting anything consistently at that distance is very difficult, however.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of what the others have said, shooting 1000 yards with the .223 is very possible.

Yep. You better reload!

In your budget your options are pretty slim. You can get a varmint kit from M1S for around $500-600, but you'll of course need a lower. Since you already have an AR you may want to consider buying a 24" upper or building one.

A good trigger, quality glass and mount are paramount. I'd plan on spending at least as much on the optics as the rifle at an absolute minimum.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We know it's possible. His goal is a 1,000 yard rifle built on the AR platform. Using .223 to accomplish this goal is counter-productive due to the massive bullet drop and energy loss. But, I guess if you're just wanting to do it to say that you have hit paper at 1k yards with a .223, then it sounds like a good strategy. :ugh2: Sighting in at 1k yards, will probably make you aim at the dirt in order to hit something at 500 yds. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom