Durango & Silverton Train ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone gone and done this train ride?

I'm thinking that might be a summer trip for the family this year. We have friends that have done this before and loved it. I've been wanting to do it for some time just never planned it in advance.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is really neat but a word of advice, it is long. Maybe if someone that has done it before wants to meet you in Silverton or maybe go to Ouray one day and drop a car off at Silverton to drive back to Durango after you get to Silverton. We took the train both ways and it was neat and all but the ride back is the same thing you just saw and I was just ready to get back to do something else.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've ridden it about 200 times....no really. Rode it as a kid and as an adult. I have property not to far from Durango so thats part of the reason.

From what I can remember....if its in peak tourtist season, it might be crowded. Fun ride, take a camera or video camera.

I have seen the train stop along the way toward Silverton, to let hikers off.

*** I have also had it snow, for at least 15-20 minutes in the latter part of July to the first of August. Meaning, if its not crowded, ride in the last car.....open air car. The roof was like a cage, and the wind blew through your hair. The bad part is if it rains or snows. The enclosed cars seats might be full and you'll have to stand in the isle.

Other than that, I haven't ridden it in 10 years, so if its changed much I can't help. I did as a kid, pick up a few pieces or chunks of coal and keep them while waiting for the train.

Have fun!!!

Cohiba

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's beautiful, expensive, and long. I've ridden it a few times over the years. You have the option of taking a bus back from Silverton. It costs a little more but if you are traveling with a kiddo it may be the best option.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've ridden it several times, both directions, and always enjoyed it. We've also taken the Chama, NM to Antonito, Co. train. This is a one way train ride and bus back to starting location. Do not recommend taking the train from Antonito to Chama. Very steep downhill grade and they ride the brakes all the way and screaming brakes do not make for a fun trip.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done the Durango-Silverton twice. I think the fall is the best time to go. We also have been on the Cumbres/Toltec ride twice. We started in Antonito both times, never had any issues with brake noise. They are both enjoyable rides.

The ride from Silverton to Durango is all downhill.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love Durango. Will try to move there when all my ducks are in a row.

Re the train: Take the bus to the top. Ride the train down. There's much more smoke going up the mountain than coming down.

Fall is kind of iffy since there's really no telling how long or when the leaves will be colorful.

I would choose spring. The wildflowers are in bloom and it's absolutely beautiful.

Oh, one last thing. Splurge and ride in the most rearward car. I've forgotten what they call it, but you can move around, stand up, open a window, stand on the very rear platform, get food and drinks, etc. It's really cool. Otherwise you've booked a seat on the cars where ... you ... sit the entire time. Much less soot in the primo car, too.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Better than Durango / Silverton" ? Yes there is one, depending on your interest. Are you going for scenery or for the comfort and touristy trip?
My family has been on the Durango-Silverton train ride and it is very cool. Ther views are nice and the trip is short and more comfortable for young children and the elderly. You leave Durango where there is nice restaurants and a neat town the ride up to silverton parallel to the river (getting some nice views) and parallel to the hwy for the first part of the trip.
You arrive in Silverton for a short lunch and to check out the touristy little town for maybe 2 hours, then back to Durango. I suppose you could stay in Silverton for the night. Check accomodations, parking (where you will leave your car, etc.) Your ride is adjacent to the Animas River. Some cool steep bluffs and shaky looking spots
If your a bit more adventurous then you may consider Antonito CO / Chama NM train ride. This is the longest and highest altitude narrow rail train ride. We left from Antonito and made the midway stop @ a high altitude Cabin/Dinner hall. You can bring your own lunch or eat what they have @ the hall. On the train there is a snack bar and drink bar ( beer and liquor if I remember right). The views are more spectacular as you leave Antonito, you cross high praries till you get to some canyons and ravines viewing beautiful farmland and rivers. No hwy's are visible just a couple of county roads. Better chance of viewing wildlife on this trip also. You can go to the midway stop have lunch and come back or you can stay in Chama NM and take the train ride back the next day. These are full day trips so be prepared. Watch the weather and bring appropriate clothing. It was nice when we left Antonito CO but there was snow @ the cabin for our lunch. This was early to mid June.
Good Luck with your choice. Wish I was going again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom