Hunting and Fishing Opportunities Near Lawton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinny

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm moving soon from IL to Lawton, OK where I will be stationed at Ft Sill. I have been reloading for the last 5 years, hunting for the last 18 years and fishing longer than I can remember. I have already searched the web for hunting and fishing opportunities on Ft Sill, so I kinda have an idea of what's out there, but I was wondering about opportunities off-post in the Lawton area. I have hunted hogs while I was stationed in Germany and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm bring along my Weatherby .243, Win 70 30-06 and TC Encore in 357 Max, 358 Win and 35 Whelen. Oh yeah, I'm a 35cal fan!!

I became a father about 16 months ago so I'm also interested in places to take the family fishing.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dinny

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dinny welcome. I lived in belleville as well when I was stationed at Scott. It was a real bummer that you werent allowed to hunt with rifles in Illinois. I am currently in Korea, but I am headed up to Enid, Ok (Vance AFB) when I get back next July. Oklahoma has loads of hunting and fishing you just have to know where to look. A good place is the DNR website. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/ It will show you were all of the public places to use and even tell you what wildlife species are located in the area. Hope I was able to help you out a little. ;)

Dinny

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dinny welcome. I lived in belleville as well when I was stationed at Scott. It was a real bummer that you werent allowed to hunt with rifles in Illinois. I am currently in Korea, but I am headed up to Enid, Ok (Vance AFB) when I get back next July. Oklahoma has loads of hunting and fishing you just have to know where to look. A good place is the DNR website. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/ It will show you were all of the public places to use and even tell you what wildlife species are located in the area. Hope I was able to help you out a little. ;)

Yes I am at Scott and it's not a bad place to be. I have bow hunted deer on-base for the last three years. Unfortunately I have never shot one of the big IL bucks, but I know they roam these woods. I have seen some good trailcam pics of them.

I have already perused the DNR website some, but there's so much info that I will continue to learn from it for some time yet.

BTW, I'm really glad all of you were able to take care of the little problem to the North. I almost had to come over there. Maybe that's what did it. They heard I was coming and decided to behave.:pms2:

Look me up when you get back to Vance, maybe we can find some hogs to shoot together.

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the assistance. Please keep the information coming, I'm making a collection and will reference it as needed.

Thanks, Dinny

tuskbuster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
not a awhole lot of tape for mil. or ret. just a safety class and then puttin in for huntin spots.deer and elk are the only time when you reall cant pick your spot

Dinny

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
not a awhole lot of tape for mil. or ret. just a safety class and then puttin in for huntin spots.deer and elk are the only time when you reall cant pick your spot

That's some of the best news I have heard yet! Thanks for the info. I learned a few tricks hunting hogs in Germany. I dunno if they'll work here but I'd like to try. Any idea if I can bait on-post?

Thanks, Dinny

Latest posts

Top Bottom