Brass Forming - Please explain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my quest for virgin brass of a particular caliber has ended in defeat. Looking to form my own and was wondering if anyone does this. I know Dillon makes some awesome add-ons for my 550 that would make the process easy.

Any pointers, tips, lessons?

Basically, I am looking at forming 300AAC out of .223 brass.

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
I can't be of any help, but I will be interested to see the replies....

Does Dillon make some type of special die for the process, or would you be running the brass through several standard sizing dies?

Odie1

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda looked into it. The forming die is made buy a guy on snipers hide i think. When the brass is formed the extra material is pushed through the die and is trimmed by the dillon trimmer ( the other methods use a small saw to cut the brass before it is formed) It still has to be fire formed in your chamber and annealed to be 100 percent but is close enough after the process. The setup will work on any press as long as you have the Dillon trimmer.

If you get serious all I need is the special die to form the brass. If you get your hands on one I'll run em for you

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It still has to be fire formed in your chamber and annealed to be 100 percent but is close enough after the process.

Maybe Ill just set on this barrel until remington starts selling virgin brass for it. To fire form, you need have a matching barrel/chamber, yeah? Dont know if I want to shoot wads of wax down a new barrel. :/

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked it up and I guess you can get a set if dies so fire forming is unnessisary. Just a full length re size. I sent ch a email to see how much the die was. If it is under A hundred I might buy it and sell enough brass to cover the cost. Who many people would want some?

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have made 221 fireball brass out of .223, found it best to aneal before forming, using a full length re-sizer eliminated the need for fire forming, also found that the 223 brass was thicker than the .221 and decided to inside neck ream so they would chamber ok, I am making some 6.5x55 brass out of .270 stuff now and doesn't look like I will have to ream it. It really isn't difficult to do but does take a lot of time compared to just loading new or once fired cases

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. I'm going to buy the forming trim die and try my hand at these. When I get a batch done hopefully someone who has a 300 aac or variant gun can finish loading them and see how they turn out. Sounds like a fun klittle project

Latest posts

Top Bottom