S&W Internal Lock Removal (Pic Heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided to remove the internal lock on my wife's night stand gun. This is a S&W J-Frame model 638 bodyguard. I bought the plug from a guy that sells them on S&W forums. Removal was pretty straight forward and there are YouTube videos for those that are interested in doing it yourself. I ordered a stainless plug for this J-frame and also a Blued plug for my M&P 360 that I will be doing next week.

Start: Yes my wife has pink Crimson trace grips.
[Broken External Image]

Grips removed.
[Broken External Image]

3 side screws removed and cylinder removed. Cylinder doesn't have to be removed but I did to make cleaning it easier.
[Broken External Image]

Thumb piece removed.
[Broken External Image]

Side plate and hammer block removed.
[Broken External Image]

Close up.
[Broken External Image]

Main spring stirrup removed.
[Broken External Image]

Hammer assembly removed.
[Broken External Image]

Cylinder bolt removed.
[Broken External Image]

Close up of lock and flag to be removed.
[Broken External Image]

Flag removed.
[Broken External Image]

Lock removed.
[Broken External Image]

Plug and retainer clip.
[Broken External Image]

Plug, retainer clip installed.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Cylinder bolt replaced.
[Broken External Image]

Hammer assembly and stirrup replaced.
[Broken External Image]

Side plate replaced.
[Broken External Image]

Finished. Note the back hole remains open from the flag. There is no replacement for that. Not a problem as your revolver should be detailed cleaned probably every 3-4 months after heavy use, carrying. I guess you could fill it if wanted.
[Broken External Image]

I am going to have a buddy blast the plug for me so that it matches the frame. Just was to excited to put it in after I received the plugs.
[Broken External Image]

Here is a link to a You Tube video doing this if want to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice posts. Now to get rid of that ugly cylinder release. Those triangles are ugly.

Anti-Triangle evangalist #1

(I think I've been spending too much time in the S&W forum with the anti-lock crowd!!)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good looking solution Andy! Would you mind posting a link to the guy who sells them?

I just milled off the lug on my lock and reinstalled all the factory parts. That way it doesn't matter what position the lock is in, it can't bind up the gun.

FWIW, removing, altering or replacing the lock does not disallow it from legal competition in IDPA, unlike some other internal mods.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good looking solution Andy! Would you mind posting a link to the guy who sells them?

I just milled off the lug on my lock and reinstalled all the factory parts. That way it doesn't matter what position the lock is in, it can't bind up the gun.

FWIW, removing, altering or replacing the lock does not disallow it from legal competition in IDPA, unlike some other internal mods.

You can just remove the flag and leave the lock in place, of course the lock won't work any longer. I just decided to replace the lock with the plug. I also use some of my wife's clear nail polish on the back of the little hole it leaves open to keep lint, etc., from getting in.

The guy sells them for J, L and N frame smiths. Either in stainless or Blued. The one I received in Blue (cold Blue) needs to be re-done as some of the blueing came off.

Here is a link to S&W forum where you can buy the plugs from "Bullseye Smith".
http://smith-wessonforum.com/accessories-misc-sale-trade/143299-fs-plug-revised-add.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom