Tanning Hides (hair is slipping I think?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314alias

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently getting ready to tan some coon hides and I fleshed them and salted them and then let hang for about two days. I then washed them with dawn dish soap. They were hanging on a stretcher for about 6 hours hair side out so the fur could dry. The hair wasn't completely dry but I then turned them skin side out and resalted them.. This is when I saw that some of the hair on one was coming through the skin? I don't know if this is because they have been wet or cuz they didn't dry all the way or are too thin. If someone could tell Me what I have done wrong I'd greatly appreciate it.. I already screwed up a badger and don't want to screw up the coons..

The skin doesn't smell rotten yet and the hair doesnt pull out in clumps from the hair side either..

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like your going too deep into the flesh.you need to stop before you get to the hair.

keep salting as long as it is pulling moisture. scrape wet salt and add new to pull all the moisture. you can use 20 mule team borax also .

use blow drier to dry the hair out.

314alias

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright that's sounds good to me just throw them in a bag and freeze'm and I'll come get them whenever!! Or I'll come and help you shoot them myself!! I'll let you know when I'm around!

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when doing my coyote (first ever) hide i noticed i could see the roots of the hair in spots. i ended up meeting a taxidermy guy this last weekend, he said going to deep will cause the hair to fall out cause the hair has nothing to "lock" to. also i used a tanning solution to help lock the hairs.

here is my link to my coyote tanning http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110452
. the steps are similiar for a coon but before you start you have to degrease them. the video i have they did a coon skin and used 409.

i work in stillwater if you would like to borrow the video......

but i'm a noobie at this stuff so take it as you will...(i get to use a fletching machine for my deer, so i will get to learn something new.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom