The "No Steel Ammo" Rule at Indoor Ranges...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's up with this new rule at all the ranges. I can understand them not wanting something like the 7.62x54r surplus stuff fired indoors. Or some other type of high power armor piercing round.

But even my 9x18 Mak ammo got turned down. Are you freaking kidding me? I asked the guy why even the Mak ammo got turned down and he told me it destroys their backstop. This seriously made me laugh as a depleted uranium mak round probably wouldn't cause a scratch. I told the guy that, and then he brought up ricocheting. Again I can understand ricocheting being a concern with a high powered rifle, but pistol ammo? Come'on man that's a stretch. Ricocheting is risk that comes with shooting, build a proper back stop or berm and the chances are very low.

Sparks could be a concern, but honestly that should never be a problem as long as they clean and upkeep the range.

I think they should only enforce this rule on rifles. With the price of copper these days just about all the "cheap plinking ammo" has some steel in it. Sorry for the rant, just had to vent a little bit.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel you, but when I accidently flew a couple of wolf 9mm's down range and saw the richochet it got my attention. Would hate for that stuff to come back and hit someone or me. Find a deal on whatever caliber or reload your own..no worries then.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This seriously made me laugh as a depleted uranium mak round probably wouldn't cause a scratch. I told the guy that, and then he brought up ricocheting.

Actually, depleted uranium is an excellent armour penetrator due to density and hardness. It's the material of choice for the USAF "tank buster" rounds.
I've watched the range at Ft Sill when the A-10s were doing their thing on the junk armoured targets: impressive!

You really should't shoot up the guy's steel backstop with uranium bullets at any speed.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, depleted uranium is an excellent armour penetrator due to density and hardness. It's the material of choice for the USAF "tank buster" rounds.
I've watched the range at Ft Sill when the A-10s were doing their thing on the junk armoured targets: impressive!

You really should't shoot up the guy's steel backstop with uranium bullets at any speed.

Sarcasm my friend, it's a beautiful thing. Honestly though the "steel" in these cheap plinking rounds are of such a poor quality that it is probably softer than the copper.

Matthew77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked at H&H I saw a women hit by a piece of steel that ricochet back. Come to one of the matches at H&H and help clean. You will see that even some of the brass makes it half way or more back down the range.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sarcasm my friend, it's a beautiful thing. Honestly though the "steel" in these cheap plinking rounds are of such a poor quality that it is probably softer than the copper.

Cheep steel actually makes a spark more easily. You also have to remember that a lot of unburned gunpowder makes its way down range.

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am in NH...The local indoor range does not allow certain ammo. However if you want to fire your AK or AR ( 10 and 15) they sell frangible 5.56 or 7.62x 39 and some 7.62 NATO ammo. I learned to take a lane to the right after my tuned Glock .40 peppered my shooting buddy to my right with hot brass.
:sorry4:

Latest posts

Top Bottom