Oklahoma puts more women in prison than any other place on the globe ...40% for Drugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Women's prison capital

That Oklahoma puts more women in prison than any other place on the globe may shock some, but isn't new, said Susan Sharp, a professor of sociology and women's studies at the University of Oklahoma. Nationally, Oklahoma has held that top ranking for 14 of the last 15 years.

[Broken External Image]

Sharp says the imprisonment of women is due in part to the state's culture and history, including a wide conservative streak that favors retributive justice.

"We are just harsher," she said.

Others contend that Oklahoma doesn't have the penal system that it wants but has been stuck with one that has proved, for reasons of politics, to be nearly impervious to meaningful reform. In their view, the root cause for the high rate of female incarceration can be found in the criminal code, particularly its severity toward drug offenders.

Laura Pitman, the DOC's deputy director of female offender operations, considers the high incarceration rate a public health problem masquerading solely as a crime problem because about 40 percent of Oklahoma's female prison population have been charged with drug offenses.

Improving access to drug treatment and creating more alternatives to prison for offenders with substance abuse problems, advocates argue, would not only reduce recidivism rates for offenders, but would better serve the community now and in the future.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110130_11_A1_CUTLIN578670

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quit Using Drugs.

Tell that to my:

Acute Athritis of the ankle (left)
75% disability in my right knee (right), 30% in the left
Remissive Caner
low self esteem
depressive, repetitive work life surrounded by miscreants who would rather chit chat than do substantial work.

I need my drugas, specially when the distilled drink of the barley just aint cuttin it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must be weird because I only have sympathy for wrongful convictions.

Doing illegal drugs gets you time in the legal system. And I dont do drugs and dont have those problems, funny how that works huh? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom