Hogs Gone Wild on Discovery Channel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone been watching the Hogs Gone Wild show on Discovery Channel? These people must be some of the worst hog hunters I have seen! None of them are carrying any firearms that I can see. They put themselves and their dogs at risk by not dropping the hog as soon as possible.

One group even has a chick hunting with them. But I lost respect for her when they showed her wearing makeup, hoops earings and a shiny western belt while hunting in the brush at night. I kept hoping for her to get that earing caught in a branch and ripped out. But this is the same group that is using a Great Dane as their hunting dog. That does not make sense to me. The Great Dane is too tall for this game becuase the hog will have leverage by having a lower center of gravity.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Discovery has some good shows lately, but they all seem to be too focused on value-added drama. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching them, but they could cut the BS and make much more believable shows. Gold Rush is my favorite, by far. But here I am and I've been watching for 2 months, and by now I feel like I could do it all myself because I can't bicker and argue with myself.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
watched and LMAO!! i agree about there attempts...very amusing. i have never hog hunted in my life but that watching that is about the opposite of what to do. i understand them doing it the humane way, whatever, but i will agree it was funny. i would like to see some bullets blazing and brass falling :)

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw it and thought it was a joke. Did you notice how the guy trapping did much better than the guys running dogs...hmmmm.

But this is the same group that is using a Great Dane as their hunting dog. That does not make sense to me. The Great Dane is too tall for this game becuase the hog will have leverage by having a lower center of gravity.

Looked to me like the great dane held its own. Although the drama was a bit much. They were playing it up for the camera too much.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
watched and LMAO!! i agree about there attempts...very amusing. i have never hog hunted in my life but that watching that is about the opposite of what to do. i understand them doing it the humane way, whatever, but i will agree it was funny. i would like to see some bullets blazing and brass falling :)

What dogs will do to a hog is not very humane..... so they already lost there if that's what they were going for.

The only one's I could see not using a small caliber weapon to dispatch the hogs were the guys in the FL neighborbood. They still used a knife on the big ones.

Even then with the dogs and people around handling the dogs getting a hog in place for a safe shot would be a risky proposition.

rahzel100

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the hunters that ran dogs caught some hogs in the middle of a gated community. can't exactly shoot a hog there. But if it were me id at least have a gun on me.

rusty_stud

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like that one about the poachers... it might be nat geo. sorrry. they put alot of dramatic music into it like the poachers are hannibal lecter. they show the conservationists tying severed bear paws to their shoes to hide tracks but no dramatic music there. then they see a deer carcass... cue the creepy loud music, "what kind of sicko would do this?" lol

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the show is a joke, and portrays dog hunters very poorly. i dont know if it is due to crappy editing, or if those guys are that clueless, but it is NOT a fair representation of hog hunting with dogs. if those guys and their dogs arent any better than they make them out to be, then they picked some poor people to make a show about. i know many hog hunters who take literally HUNDREDS of hogs each year with dogs. yes trapping is effective, and yes shooting them is effective, but it doesnt take them long to smarten up to that. using dogs allows you to catch the ones to smart to get trapped or stand around and get shot. most hunters have strike dogs that will find the hogs, wherever they are, not just the ones that stand out in the open while you shine a spotlight on them. and most use more or at least better catch dogs, so that the hogs are more restrained when you get there. not all the drama that you see on the show. catching hogs with dogs is dangerous to hunters and dogs, and it may not be pretty, but dog hunters are probably removing more hogs than everyone else combined. so if you agree that hogs are detrimental to the native wildlife, habitat, crops, etc., you should give credit the people who hunt with dogs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom