How many guns can I sell privately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a limit on how many guns I can sell privately and not get into trouble for not being an FFL? Is there a number per time frame? or anything at all? Say I sell 10 old guns I havent' used in years, or I get a good deal at an auction, are there any differences in the two? I see guys on here selling multiple guns, so I'm guessing it's not too big of a deal, but I figure there is some kind of a limit.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's no limit, but there's a difference between the first example and the second. If you go to an auction and buy guns specifically to resell them, then you need to have an FFL.

As far as your own private collection that you bought for personal use, you could sell all of them at once if you wanted. What do you think the people or estates that have a gun auction are doing?

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the actual wording of the law is somewhat ambiguous, and open to a wide range of interpretations. Instead of an actual number, it says something about being in the business. About 10 years ago or so, a number of people, who were selling firearms at the gun shows in OKC received letters from the BATF, requesting that they either quit or obtain a FFL. How their names were obtained by the BATF is open to speculation, as some of those who received letters, did not rent tables.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I believe there are people on here who are in the "business" of buying and selling for profit, but don't have an FFL. That gets under my skin, as it's free to use this site, but the intent is input and output, not just personal benefit. But how do you legally define personal vs business? X number of rounds? X number of months from purchase to sale?

It comes down to intent... and that's danged hard to prove.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought and sold a bunch over the past 2 years. Each one was bought legally and as long as you aren't certain that the buyer is a fellon you can sell it to them. I buy some cause I like 'em. I buy some because they are a good deal and I know I can get my money or more back out of them someday.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I rarely sell guns I own, but I've got a few that spent a lot of money on and they rarely see light. Just didn't want to get in trouble if I start selling several at once, though I probably won't. It's hard for me to think about selling any of them really. Just never know when one day I'll regret selling that "one".

Latest posts

Top Bottom