needing home defense tactical shotgun recommendations please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhollie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking for 12 gauge unless a better one is recommended.. something like a mossberg 500 with pistol grip or a remington 870. I havent seen or shot either just looking at specs. I even looked at a Charles Daly tactical 12 gauge becuase they are $169.00 new but dont know anything about them.
thanks guys...

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip HURTS my hand. i keep one around so that students can shoot it and then a shotgun with a stock so that they can see how much they will not like shooting with a pistol grip.

also, even though most home defense will be close shooting, i know i can shoot more accurate with a stock.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a basic Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 with 18" - 181/2" barrel. I also don't like pistol grips stocks on a shotty, it's like...useless? I'd get the one you feel best when bringing it up to your shoulder and handling the controls.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on pitching the pistol grip idea. Either remmy or mossy would be good. I've got 18.5" barred mossy that I use just for that purpose. I'm partial to the mossberg, but that's a personal opinion.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rem 870 or Moss 500. No need to spend a ton of money on a bedside shotty. Both of these are good to go. If you do want a pistol grip, go with the Hogue. It is a little better on the hand.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the pistol grip but only with a stock. I know it is a shotgun but unless you can shoulder it you will be inaccurate. I like pumps for home defense. I have two semis and they are picky about ammo. I would say a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had a Rem 870 Police with a Choate top folding stock. Kind of the best of both worlds. Sold it to a friend and when it came time to buy a new SG I went with a Mossberg 590A1 w/3dot sights, Speedfeed stock and I added a six shot SideSaddle. Great gun. My other "social" SG is an old Win M12 with a REALLY open choke.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
one of these..fires faster than you will ever need to. Plenty of capacity, and guns have a particular affinty for buckshot. I have owned 3 over the years, keep coming back to it. In fact just sold an 870 police mag, so I could this make this purchase from this dealer.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214490476#PIC

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f173_jlongan247_beretta1200FP.jpg