Mag Finishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly sure where to post this - rifles, ammo, or general, so I'll just do it here. Took advantage of Cheaper Than Dirt's surplus G3 mag gamble, and came out with some good and some "needs TLC" steel mags. The need work mags are fully functional, but have surface rust (a couple are completely orange - solid, but orange). If I blast the body on these, what would be a cheap and easy do-it-yourself coating for them? They'll obviously need to be oil and solvent resistant, but not necessarily to the point that a rifle finish would be - that's why I didn't go with the "search" function, as I'm pretty sure it would turn up more durable rifle topics. Any over the counter methods that are recommended?

For the record, I now have plenty, but I might just gamble and order a third round of the 97¢ aluminum mags. Those too are all useable, but some very good and some pretty used. After seeing that FAL mags went from cheap to $20 a mag in just a few years, I figure....why not?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they for sure aluminum? If they are steel, parkerize them. Quickest, easiest and cheapest form of finishing. You're welcome to blast one and bring it over and drop it in my tank to see if it will park.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they for sure aluminum? If they are steel, parkerize them. Quickest, easiest and cheapest form of finishing. You're welcome to blast one and bring it over and drop it in my tank to see if it will park.

No - they're steel. I bought some of both, and some (quite a few) of the steel have surface rust. Nice, solid mags, but some are just cosmetically kind of "eh". How much do you charge to park a dozen or so, if it will take?

Latest posts

Top Bottom