Sooner State Pawn Oklahoma Second Amendment Association 2A Shooting Center Harsh Firearms Fat Boy Tactical

Default Marlin model 60 bolt buffer

has anyone ever fabbed one of these up? once again, the parts suppliers are out of stock or $15 which is nuts because its a block of nylon. seems anybody with a vise and a dremel tool or saw could make one. i have some of the nylon/plastic panels used in bathroom stall installation. they are already about the same thickness. would these work?

Default Re: Marlin model 60 bolt buffer

Don't know the answer, make one, put it in the gun and see.

Sure you could fab one. Never thought of that before. A few minutes with a grinding wheel and you're good to go. The toughest part is installing the damn thing. ;-)
    Anti-Lock Evangelist #2

FEEDBACK

Banned

Have made a couple out of a tough plastic, used a milling machine, the first one,(gun) I sold. The second on, have shot enough to wish I had used Nylon. I have a book by J. B.Wood, GUNSMITHING THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE. In it he mentions making them out of old motor mounts. Claims they are virtually indestructable.

i fabbed one up then in the process of getting the g#%#d*&$ pin out that holds that sucker in place, i decided to shelve that idea for awhile. i think making them will work just fine but i'll have to wait for it to happen on one of my favorites for me to tackle it!

Just order a new one from Brownells.. Pretty sure the one they stock is supose to be tougher than the stock one. You have to take the fire control group apart to replace it. The pin doesn't come out.....

this one was in a mountain man commemorative made for otasco in 84. the pin had heads on both sides. i couldn't see any other way. the more i mess around with the model 60's, the more i see differences in the manufacture. even ones fairly close in age have some changes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dlbleak View Post
    this one was in a mountain man commemorative made for otasco in 84. the pin had heads on both sides. i couldn't see any other way. the more i mess around with the model 60's, the more i see differences in the manufacture. even ones fairly close in age have some changes.
    Well, I just went out to my shop, where I drove the pin out of one without disassembing the thing. Used a 3/32 (.093) punch. right to left. there was no head , either side on this one. Had there have been. I reckon, I would have got rid of one of them with a dremal or file.

i ground them off with a dremel. i would have to come up with another pin to go ahead with this little project. i might just use this one for parts, it has a few other issues as well.