Marlin model 60 bolt buffer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
has anyone ever fabbed one of these up? once again, the parts suppliers are out of stock or $15 which is nuts because its a block of nylon. seems anybody with a vise and a dremel tool or saw could make one. i have some of the nylon/plastic panels used in bathroom stall installation. they are already about the same thickness. would these work?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure you could fab one. Never thought of that before. A few minutes with a grinding wheel and you're good to go. The toughest part is installing the damn thing. ;-)

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have made a couple out of a tough plastic, used a milling machine, the first one,(gun) I sold. The second on, have shot enough to wish I had used Nylon. I have a book by J. B.Wood, GUNSMITHING THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE. In it he mentions making them out of old motor mounts. Claims they are virtually indestructable.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i fabbed one up then in the process of getting the g#%#d*&$ pin out that holds that sucker in place, i decided to shelve that idea for awhile. i think making them will work just fine but i'll have to wait for it to happen on one of my favorites for me to tackle it!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just order a new one from Brownells.. Pretty sure the one they stock is supose to be tougher than the stock one. You have to take the fire control group apart to replace it. The pin doesn't come out.....

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one was in a mountain man commemorative made for otasco in 84. the pin had heads on both sides. i couldn't see any other way. the more i mess around with the model 60's, the more i see differences in the manufacture. even ones fairly close in age have some changes.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
this one was in a mountain man commemorative made for otasco in 84. the pin had heads on both sides. i couldn't see any other way. the more i mess around with the model 60's, the more i see differences in the manufacture. even ones fairly close in age have some changes.
Well, I just went out to my shop, where I drove the pin out of one without disassembing the thing. Used a 3/32 (.093) punch. right to left. there was no head , either side on this one. Had there have been. I reckon, I would have got rid of one of them with a dremal or file.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ground them off with a dremel. i would have to come up with another pin to go ahead with this little project. i might just use this one for parts, it has a few other issues as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom