Are we being bought with our own money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."---Alexander Fraser Tytler

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."---Alexis de Tocqueville (although some dispute this attribution)

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Top 10 Heavy Hitters:
ActBlue $51,124,846
AT&T Inc $46,292,670
American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees $43,477,361
National Assn of Realtors $38,721,441
Goldman Sachs $33,387,252
American Assn for Justice $33,143,279
Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $33,056,216
National Education Assn $32,024,610
Laborers Union $30,292,050
Teamsters Union $29,319,982

opensecrets.org

Click on "View Full List"

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or are interests only special if they aren't yours?

That's about right. My interests have to do with what is best for the whole country. Those specific and narrowly defined interests, commonly known as special interests, have to do with corrupting our government and selling out the common good for profit, foreign and domestic.
I think that the foreign lobbies are even more of an abomination than the domestic.
I'd like to repeat that I am pro domestic lobbies as long as there is no money involved.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are millions and millions of bucks spent in Washington to influence our elected officials, most, but i seriously doubt all, do not receive money directly but the influence is still there. One example is Tort reform, IMO one of the biggest reasons that health care costs are so high is because we can't get Tort reform. I have personally had 3 doctors in the last 5 years quit private practice because of insurance costs and the constant threat of lawsuits yet the people in Washington said that the savings from Tort reform was so insignificant that it wasn't worth considering in Obamacare. Do you think they came to that conclusion on their own or were influenced by the Lawyers loby.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are millions and millions of bucks spent in Washington to influence our elected officials, most, but i seriously doubt all, do not receive money directly but the influence is still there. One example is Tort reform, IMO one of the biggest reasons that health care costs are so high is because we can't get Tort reform. I have personally had 3 doctors in the last 5 years quit private practice because of insurance costs and the constant threat of lawsuits yet the people in Washington said that the savings from Tort reform was so insignificant that it wasn't worth considering in Obamacare. Do you think they came to that conclusion on their own or were influenced by the Lawyers loby.

Can you define tort without Googling it?

Most of your legislators talking "tort reform" can't...

Latest posts

Top Bottom