kahr PM9 shooting problem (grip)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice425

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hello again. i have put 500 flawless rounds through my new pm9 and love it. i have ran into a problem with my grip while practicing.

in the first pic:
this grip was the most natural from first picking up and shooting the gun. problem was, my thumb kept getting torn up by the slide release. even so, i was the most accurate.

in the second pic:
this grip i tried after 300 rounds of using the grip in pic #1. ir did not feel as comfortable while holding and was less accurate, but it didnt tear up my thumb.

what i am looking for is, how do you guys grip your pm9? is the thumb supposed to go up against the slide release like in pic #1? or is my new grip in pic #2 correct and im just needing to practice more with this style of grip? i know its a very small gun and ppl are going to have different opinions. i am just curious what grip some of you more experienced shooters with this style of gun prefer.

thanks for any input.

[pic 1]
ai701.photobucket.com_albums_ww16_srice425_100_1682.jpg

[pic 2]
ai701.photobucket.com_albums_ww16_srice425_100_1681.jpg

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently bought a Kahr CW9. I'm going on 350 rounds so far with one stovepipe malfunction on round 27, after that it's been perfect. I've never had my thumb torn up by the slide release, I generally grip it with my strong hand thumb pointing more upward to avoid that. I do however have an issue with the slide itself tearing up the first knuckle of my strong hand's thumb. I tend to grip high, and the skinny frame slips a little during firing and the slide brushes against that knuckle. It does not hurt...at first, then it slowly wears the skin off the knuckle until I'm bleeding. I think some skateboard tape or a houge slip on grip might be called for. The tape might work for you as well, it will give you a reference for your hands once you get a good grip figured out.

mayberg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do OK with the thumb under the slide release. No problem here. My issue is my trigger finger riding the CT mount on the trigger guard - not the most comfortable thing there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom