Ruger LCR 357 Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stopped by the gun shop today to pick up some powder and came away with the powder AND a new LCR in 357 Mag. Anybody have one? Is so, what's your take on it?

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never shot one, but I have shot a S&W 340PD with defense loads. The S&W is painful to shoot. It is 11.4 oz empty, and the LCR .357 is 17.1 oz empty. Based just on that, it should be somewhat more comfy to shoot than the 340PD.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the gun to the range early this morning. I shot 200 rounds of 38 special (130 gr Remington, 158 gr Mag Tech, and some of my 148 gr hbwc reloads). Then I shot a box of Wichester 130 gr PDX1 JHP. Finally I shot 25 rounds of Blazer 158 gr 357 Mag and 25 158 gr Federal 357 Mag. As you would expect, the recoil from the 38 Special ammo was pretty mild. Couldn't tell much difference between the various bullet weights. The +P Winchester hollow points shot really nice, with no more recoil than the regular loads. Obviously there was a noticeable increase in the recoil from the 357 rounds, but not as much as I expected. I'm sure the Blazer ammo is a pretty weak 357 load. Recoil from it was not bad at all. The Federal ammo produced enough recoil that my wrist was a little sore after 25 rounds. The accuracy of the pistol surprised me. I have very little range time with short barreled revolvers, but I could easily keep all my hits within the head area of my targets from 15 yards. As I said the extent of my experience is limited, I have owned a S&W 442 and a Taurus Ultralite, but after the first range trip with the Ruger, I am fairly impressed. It is more comfortable to shoot than the S&W and Taurus, mostly due to the grips. But,the larger grips will make it harder to conceal. The trigger action felt pretty smooth to me. I expect that, for the money, this pistol will serve it's intended purpose pretty well. And, it didn't hurt as much as I expected. I'll probably carry +P 38's and shoot a few 357's every once in a while for kicks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom