.223 recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a lee loadmaster and getting into reloading. I found a recipe for .223 and I added it up and even before shipping on the cheapest ammo I was buying and buying mixed once fired unprocessed brass. I "save" 5 cents a shot or 11.5 cents a shot with my own brass. The source I got the recipe said the specs for a 62 gr bullet to be 3100+ Fps give or take 35fps. I will obviously look for the proper powder amount for the 55grn round I am looking to use but for evaluating the price per round I based it on this formula.
Wsr primer
Winchester .224 55gr fmj/c/bt
Win 748 27.3gr

I priced all the componant at powder valley.
I guess I am posting to get feed back on what you think about the recipe and if you know any cheaper brands for the components that are still comparable.

I might try to put an order in for pickup at the moneymaker. But I am probably too late for that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
give em a call. I placed a pickup preorder Monday.

Did you remember to keep in mind that you will be reusing your brass? For rifle loads I usually figure 5 loads per brass to base my costs on.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
oh yes. i was just happy that even when i had to buy brass it would save me money. at this moment i really only have a few hundred rounds of 223 twice fired. but that should keep me busy for a little while. now im trying to find a cost effective 9mm recipe that will get me close to 1200fps i think thats about where the bvac ammo is. probably a little less with a 115. but so far the one i found was using powder 3n37 or n350 i think it was... and the price was less than a penny savings per round using my own brass. and would cost me even more if i had to acquire brass. i am sure theres a cheaper powder that makes it effective to reload. that and or using lead cast rounds instead of fmj (although i would rather use fmj)

thanks for mention that you pre ordered monday. i will give them a call after my classes today and see about it.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot L.C brass ,Hornady 68gr match, Varget 25gr. Wolf or CCI primers

I have some brass that went 10 loadings .

Savage ugly model 10 L.E. Choate stock . 8in plates at 500m no problem helps, if the wind is 6 or 12 oclock.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AA2230 is cheaper per 8 lb. jug and only takes 24-25gr of powder to make 3,000+ out of a 18-20" barrel with a 55gr bullet.

Hornady or MG 55gr bullets are likely the cheapest option for plinking ammo and will give you MOA results out to 300 yards with AA2230.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
oh yes. i was just happy that even when i had to buy brass it would save me money. at this moment i really only have a few hundred rounds of 223 twice fired. but that should keep me busy for a little while. now im trying to find a cost effective 9mm recipe that will get me close to 1200fps i think thats about where the bvac ammo is. probably a little less with a 115. but so far the one i found was using powder 3n37 or n350 i think it was... and the price was less than a penny savings per round using my own brass. and would cost me even more if i had to acquire brass. i am sure theres a cheaper powder that makes it effective to reload. that and or using lead cast rounds instead of fmj (although i would rather use fmj)

thanks for mention that you pre ordered monday. i will give them a call after my classes today and see about it.

For pure cost saving drop the idea of the VV powders, they rule, but are expensive and can be hard to find.

I know of people who use Titegroup to get close to 1200 (I think they get to 1175 or so), they are experienced reloaders who know what they are doing. Using a slower powder like Unique or HS-6 will get you there easy. Buy your FMJ's from Montana gold or Precision Delta in case quantity and you can easily load 1000 rounds for under $150.

E Rock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
just an fyi, natchez has brass on the cheap right now, was out of stock for a while just got the email a couple days ago that they have it again. $120 per 1000rd... a week before that i ordered 2k from midway for 150$ per 1k, wish i would have waited owell
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA556UPB&src=tpSlrHm

haven't shot any yet but after my research i decided to go with LC brass, imr 8208xbr powder, cci #41 primer, and pulled bullets from hitech, some 55gr and some 62gr. for plinking of coarse. natchez has a decent deal on bulk hornaday projo's too but you have to buy 6000 of them, still cheaper than i paid for "pulled bullets"

if i owned the brass, i'm still at .17 cents per round, i don't see how you can get it that cheap at .11 cents per round. maybe a price diff in the materials?

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks this helps. any ideas for 9mm?

Shooting as hot as you're wanting to shoot you're gonna want to shoot jacketed, plated at the very least... so that rules out the cheaper hard cast boolits... If it were me, I wouldn't be so worried about how fast it's going, but that's just me, you can work up to around 1000 fps with hard cast.

For me I'm loading about 3.4 grains of bullseye under a 125 gr lead round nose.. I use em for uspsa (when I shoot em) and steel challenge.

Word of caution about your bullseye or unique loads, go slow with em, pressures with these flake powders get high fast, but the trade off is less felt recoil and faster reacquisition. Go slow start at or slightly below minimum, and find what your gun likes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom