POSP Scope Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a POSP for my Kalashnikov for a long time now...I think it's finally time. But now that I look at them, there are a few options I didn't realize I would have.

The one I originally looked at was the regular 4x24 with Simonov (400m) rangefinder reticle.

http://www.steelcityarmory.com/posp...meter-rangefinder-illuminated-ak-version.html

However, I read somewhere that even for the range I'm looking to shoot at (a max of 200-300 meters) it would be better to get the 8x42 for the better zoom, since the price is so close. Apparently the 8x42 is now available with a Simonov reticle instead of the Dragunov one normally used.

http://www.steelcityarmory.com/fire...meter-rangefinder-illuminated-ak-version.html

Does anyone out there have any opinions on if this would be a good idea, or should I stick with the classic 4x24 which was originally the only one with the Simonov reticle?

-Jonathan

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the 4 power on my psl that I had for a short time about a year ago. I didn't have any problems aiming and hitting an 18" square plate at 490 yds. If you are putting it on an ak I don't think you will be able to shoot a long enough distance to get the benefit of the higher magnification. Another plus is the field of view will be larger with the 4 power and allow for you to get on target faster, like if a coyote runs out from a tree line at 75 yds. you'll be much better off with the 4 power.

However if you just want to shoot paper on occasion then the 8 power may be the way to go. Either will be a blast to shoot with. The 4 power may be a more of a do all type scope.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 4x TIP 2 on my PSL and its plenty of scope for the distance I shoot with it. The range I shoot at is 500 yds maximum with plates and target boards set up every 100 yds in between. If you are putting this optic on a 7.62x39 caliber, Its my opinion that 4x would be plenty.

Consider this, 7.62x39 is ballisticly similar to 30-30 winchester which makes accuracy top out at 200yds or so.

It all depends on what you are going to shoot. Paper plates 4x is good, golf balls at 200 yds 8x may be the better choice.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll go with the 4 power because I would like it to be practical, even though I don't hunt or shoot pests. It will mostly be a range piece, unless I need it to be something more.

-Jonathan

steelcityarmory

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
JonathanT did you end up getting that POSP scope? If not our website is now open for business and we are taking orders. We got a change to check out these optics and once we seen them we knew we had to bring them to the market! These are no joke, they are really a nice product. Please do not hesitate to email with any questions.

www.steelcityarmory.com

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a fixed 8x would be annoying on a rifle that is mostly for short range and is only ever used out to 300m. 4x is perfect for that range if you ask me.

For the size targets an AK can reliably hit at that distance, the magnification is fine. You won't be shooting golf balls at that distance with an AK.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I ended up getting one, a birthday gift from my parents. Unfortunately we didn't see steelcityarmory, so we ended up paying a bit more for it. I got the 4x24 with Simonov reticle, and I am very pleased. Crystal clear, sharp, and the new black finish matches my recently refinished rifle perfectly. Adds another pound and a half to the rifle, and according to some reviews I've heard the eye cup is extremely uncomfortable, but I guess I didn't notice that because I'm not into "optimized for comfort" AR builds.

Only one thing I'm a little baffled by. According to all the documentation and many user reviews I've read, the Simonov reticle is supposed to have three chevrons...the primary for 100m, the one below it for 200m, and the one below that for 300m. Since the AK tops out around that distance, seemed like a good idea. But when I got mine, I saw that it only had two chevrons. The 100m and 200m ones. Did they change this at some point, or was all the documentation I read incorrect?

steelcityarmory

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom