Most LEVERevolution powder used with 160gr Hornady FTX bullet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I am loading for 30-30 and wanted to use the LEVERevolution stuff for the moderate ballistic improvement and loaded one batch with the factory 32.0 gns, and another with 34.8 gns which is Hornady's last load recommendation before the max load of 37.0. Well Hodgdon's book says the max load is 35.5 gn's compressed. I guess what I am getting at is I am kind of nervous about shooting that hot a load and am curious if anyone else has used this or a comparable combo?

Also with the 34.8 gn load I cannot feel or hear any powder sloshing around in the case, is this what they mean by compressed or do I just need to pull the bullets put a smaller charge in?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just starting loading and even though I want to experiment and learn on my own, I don't want to blow myself up either, ya know?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with that powder yet so no help on question #1.

Generally speaking when you have a compressed load you won't hear any powder when you shake the round.
But sometimes you might after time when it has settled some also.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I can't answer your question I would suggest you ask yourself what is your intended purpose for these loads. Some people load for economy, othere do it for accuracy, and some just want to reach the ragged edge of what that particular cartridge is capable of doing. I think that if you are new to reloading and aren't "comfortable" with maximum loads then you shouldn't worry about loading them. There are so many variables that can change load performance like internal case capacity, seating depth, primer that comparing load manuals is sometimes misleading.

Sounds like you are asking the right questions and playing it safe. Good luck.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with that powder yet so no help on question #1.

Generally speaking when you have a compressed load you won't hear any powder when you shake the round.
But sometimes you might after time when it has settled some also.

Makes sense, thanks

While I can't answer your question I would suggest you ask yourself what is your intended purpose for these loads. Some people load for economy, othere do it for accuracy, and some just want to reach the ragged edge of what that particular cartridge is capable of doing. I think that if you are new to reloading and aren't "comfortable" with maximum loads then you shouldn't worry about loading them. There are so many variables that can change load performance like internal case capacity, seating depth, primer that comparing load manuals is sometimes misleading.

Sounds like you are asking the right questions and playing it safe. Good luck.

Yeah, I got excited when I started loading these and forgot to begin at the starting load and for some reason went straight to right below max, actually I am starting to load for a time killer, but will probably just end up accomplishing accuracy for cheap, as little as I hunt the "edge of performance" really doesn't matter to me so I will probably pull the bullets out of them and reload them...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I haven't experienced yet but heard from other that the Hornady brass is shorter than standard brass and can cause some problems when reloading it. The dies won't go down far enough to crimp the bullet. Something to do with the bullets they are using or something. I'll try and dig up the discussion and see what the general consensus was on a fix. But I was just thinking get a Lee factory crimp die. I do have some of this brass in 35 Rem, I'll try and get out and check it tomorrow or the next day.

Example - 45-70:
Hornady LE 2.035" vs 2.1" for everything else.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I haven't experienced yet but heard from other that the Hornady brass is shorter than standard brass and can cause some problems when reloading it. The dies won't go down far enough to crimp the bullet. Something to do with the bullets they are using or something. I'll try and dig up the discussion and see what the general consensus was on a fix. But I was just thinking get a Lee factory crimp die. I do have some of this brass in 35 Rem, I'll try and get out and check it tomorrow or the next day.

Example - 45-70:
Hornady LE 2.035" vs 2.1" for everything else.

That's good to know, but I am using Winchester brass and already have lee factory crimp die an I did put a medium crimp in those cases, all of which were halfway in the cannelure and looked pretty decent, I suppose...

Latest posts

Top Bottom