Remington 597 opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 10/22 and sold it, but now I'm looking for another semi-auto rifle to replace it. Not looking to drop a lot of $$$ on tricking it out, just want a solid shooter.

I like the Marlin 60s, but I'm leaning towards a magazine fed platform. Buds has the 597 with a scope for $200. Anyone own a 597? Let me know pros and cons.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son has one. It has been a good one. I bought one off of a memeber on here and gave it to my nephew. I know they have been shooting the heck out of it.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one. Really accurate and feeds well from the factory ten shot magazine. I also have the Remington 30 shot mag. It worked well for a while but now it jams with about 10 shells left in it. I blame it on being all plastic. Also, when the last shot is fired the bolt doesn't hold open like it does with the 10 shot factory mag.

Reaction score
The 597s are ok, but look pretty cheesily-made, when you examine fit, finish, materials. They do run now, post-mag-redesign.

But .... Marlins are better. Get the mag-fed 795 instead of the 60 if you like that better! Promise you won't find a better value in a semi-auto .22 than a Marlin - any model. They will shoot very well. Savage 2nd place. Rem 597 3rd. Ruger 4th.

If you do decide that you like tube-mag, the Remington 552 Speedmaster is a better rifle, IMO, than the 597. Shoots anything. It would be awesome if it just had a shorter barrel.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well now I'm looking at bolt-actions as well. Decisions Decisions.

I was in Outdoor America a while back and they had a Ruger bolt action 22lr. It was used, but looked in good shape. I don't know what they were asking, but you might call and see if they still have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom