Civil War began 150 ago today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a

• Johnny Reb?

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Billy Yank?

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait, if I vote Johnny Reb must I own another human? Because I'm no Billy Yank, but I can't abide owning other people, 'cept on the b-ball court.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, if I vote Johnny Reb must I own another human? Because I'm no Billy Yank, but I can't abide owning other people, 'cept on the b-ball court.

While it has been a llllllooooooonnnnnnggggg time since I studied it in depth, the subject of "owning another human" was not the single defining reason for the conflict. Remember, history is written by the victorious.

As I recall, slavery would probably have phased out within a decade or so of the start of the war. It wasn't profitable. Nor was it as widespread as many seem to believe.

There have been many, many books written about the root causes of the war, and alot of "what ifs" about what might have been had the war not started.

But then I'm just a dumb Polish-Italian-American. Most of my family was still in Poland and Italy back then.

Dave

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss is in Charleston on business this week, and he said it's incredible there; firing off cannons early in the morning, reenactors with tents and campfires, etc - he said it's a huge deal this week. Would love to see it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In August, Wilson's creek battlefield by Springfield Mo. is going to have a re-enactment and are expecting several thousand re-enactors. I think it would be a neat thing to take the kids to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom