Best grass(lawn) for Tulsa area, and a gravel question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lawn question

I'm wanting to have a nice lawn now that I have my backyard fenced in, and I have a few questions.

I'd like to start working on having a lawn, and not a random collection of plants that turn green in the spring. Right now I have some serious random patches of stuff growing that I want to conform into a nice, even textured green yard.

Where do I start from here? Location information: the nearly ghetto Turley area, so I'm nearly starting from scratch. I have medium shade areas in the back yard that will mostly fade away as summer gets closer. My front yard gets plenty of sun, and only has evening shade from the house. I'm not afraid to need to do fertilizing, seeding, or anything that doesn't require finding a landscaper.

I'd like to stick with Home Depot as my main supplier for whatever I need, as it's just convenient for me.

Gravel question
Growing up on the farm we used a lot of gravel that Dad just called "chicken gravel". I don't know if he just called it that because we mainly used it for the new chicken house floor, or what. It was great stuff to use as a floor though, because all you had to do was wet it and it set up hard. I remember that it was really flaky too.

Is there another name for this stuff? Where would I get it?

I'd like to make a 2x4 frame for the North side of my house, which is currently a dirt alleyway that won't grow anything, and fill it with this to provide a weed deterrent and a stable use path. It would also be handy for me to make a small 10x10 pad in front of my shed for a working area as well.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
J.R.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The gravel is probably what is often called "screenings". It has a kitty litter appearance. Your lawn, just going to make it short, too much shade isn't good for bermuda.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you wanting something that's going to look highly manicured or a lawn that's lower maintance. I think if you check out the OSU Ag extension website they have turf suggestions for Oklahoma. They should also be able to make suggestions for establishing a new lawn.

I personally would find something that won't require a bunch of fertilizing and watering.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crossfire grass. It was researched by the OSU ag dept. and is well suited to this area. looks awesome. very drought resistant. deep green color. I think they have it at Westlake hardware.

Here is the study and ratings link. Its in the top 3 for all categories

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-995/CR-6602web.pdf

Here is the link to the page with several articles, from selecting a grass, to weed control, etc.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/View/Collection-397

Latest posts

Top Bottom