45 LC reloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my first single action revolver last week. For you guys that roll your own 45 LC for cowboy action shooting, what's your favorite load?

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two 45 Colt New Vaqueros with 4-5/8" barrels that I use for cowboy action shooting.

I am using 5.8gr of IMR Trailboss behind 200gr lead round nose bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. I have chronographed this load out of the revolvers at 675fps average, it is doing right at 800fps out of my Rossi 1892 clone with 20" barrel.

If you make an error and double charge the case the powder would be right below the mouth, makes it easy to prevent a dangerous situation, in addition to this the powder doesn't have the option to set up near the bullet and away from the flash hole which leads to varying velocity figures.

I was using 5.5gr of Hodgdon HP-38 before switching to Trailboss and my velocity figures would vary quite a bit, have not seen this with the Trailboss load

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have them anymore, but I used Titegroup with 200 and 255 gr SWC with good results. I don't remember the charge weight, but it was at the low end of the manual. You get a LOT of loads per lb with Titegroup.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fill 'em up (~35 g) with 2F (3F works, too) Black Powder - yup - that charcoal, sulfur and potassium nitrate (salt peter) stuff. Stick a 250g cast pill on top. Big smoke :explode:, big flame and big boom :thumbup3: and make sure you got a firm grip on the gun before you squeeze of that first round.

Folks have a tendency to step back when you take your place on the line to shoot the stage. :)

Load the Missus with Titegroup although she does like to shoot a smoke round every now and then; 4.5 g for the pistols and 6 g for the rifle with the same 250 g bullet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom