Recommend filler for driveway expansion joints?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My driveway is about 16 years old. The builder used wooden spacers between sections and they are rotting away, allowing water to get in, and weeds to sprout. A little Roundup kills the weeds, but I want to remove the remains of the boards and fill the gaps with some sort of sealant.

Someone told me there is a product that will adhere to the concrete, but remain flexible.

Anybody know what I should use? CB

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My driveway is about 16 years old. The builder used wooden spacers between sections and they are rotting away, allowing water to get in, and weeds to sprout. A little Roundup kills the weeds, but I want to remove the remains of the boards and fill the gaps with some sort of sealant.

Someone told me there is a product that will adhere to the concrete, but remain flexible.

Anybody know what I should use? CB

My concrete guy used a caulk type product to fill the expansion joints when we had our drive replaced. Look at the home centers on the concrete aisle. You will want to use a foam backer rod to fill the joint first.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/PolySelfLevelingSealantPro.asp

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My concrete guy used a caulk type product to fill the expansion joints when we had our drive replaced. Look at the home centers on the concrete aisle. You will want to use a foam backer rod to fill the joint first.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/PolySelfLevelingSealantPro.asp

This is it. Another good product is made by sekaflex. If I'm right it's the original Also if you are having trouble finding backer rod you can buy a sheet of Insulation board and cut it into strips.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a pretty big joint in my driveway, about 3/4" wide and maybe 2-3" deep that I've been wanting to seal. How close to the surface would I want to pack it with backer rod or insulation board?
Diffrent products have different specifications you'll have to read the specs on the product you can find. Usually 1/2 is good to go

ETA:

I looked at a tube of the sikaflex that we use and it recommends 1/4 to 1/2 inch coverage. We also buy it from Maxwell here in Tulsa if that matters

Last edited:

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fill the gap with foam backer rod the use Sonneborn SL1 sealant. It is "self leveling" so it will fill all the voids and look great. It will run down hill fast so you should only use it on the horizontal joints. Use the matching NP-1 for the slope joints. You can get it at Maxwell's or SSI on Lincoln & 36th. You should stay away from silicone for concrete joints.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lowes has silicone caulk in a tube just for patching, concrete cracks, etc. It would work perfectly for what you are doing. It even has grit in it to look like you really grouted the crack. I have used it on my sidewalk, having the same problem you described. The wood rotting out. It really looks like conrete grout when your done.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend you use an open cell foam backer rod (comes in a rope-like form). It goes in the cleaned out gap and the sealant is run on top of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom