Private Party Transfer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLLW762

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the Army and recently pcs'd here from CA. Just found out that I will be going to Germany in a few months. I have a handgun and several rifles that will unfortunately not be allowed to accompany me. I know that OK doesn't require any background checks for private party transfers. But since my firearms are from CA and they are registered with the CA DOJ, can I still sell them to someone here in OK? Will I have to notify CA DOJ? Do firearms dealers here conduct private party transfers? My main concern is selling my weapons to someone that is not eligible.

Any input would be appreciated.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think you need to do anything if you want to sell here in OK, if you just want to do somthing, make out a bill of sell and have the buyer sign it, but other than that you should be good to go.

BTW thank you for your service.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an 07 dealer who is california compliant and I know that guns in california are registered to the owners. We do not have a registration law in oklahoma yet so all you have to do is notify the california department of justice that you have taken the firearms out of state and no longer want them registered there to you, you may have to sign a form and give them your info and the serial numbers of the guns that were registered to you but once you do that you can sell them to anyone here that is of legal age, not a fellon, and not mental.

California is the only state that you have to do that for.

If it would ease your mind there are thousands of gun dealers who will do a brady background check for just a few dollars and then there is no worry about it ever comming back to you.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honeybee is dead on. Oklahoma doesn't register firearms and you for your own safety I would just have a hand written bill of sale showing who you sold them too. If you would like the person buying them to pass a background check, we can do the deal for you for only $10. That would include us bringing the firearm on our books so that the transfer of ownership would be from us to the buyer and eliminate you.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're interested, you could probably find somebody here in OK who would buy them from you with an option for you to buy them back; alternatively, you might be able to rent a storage locker or somesuch, depending upon the length of your stay in Germany.

dolidog2000

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you have for sale? When I transfered in from the Peoples Republic of Ca. several years ago ,I went through Sooner State Pawn selling several long guns. They are GREAT prople to do business with.

WLLW762

New to the site!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I have a bcm midlength AR with JD machine lower, Arsenal SGL-21, and XD-9.

@ honeybee, I'll most likely try contacting CA DOJ to get my guns off their books before I attempt to sell here in OK.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're interested, you could probably find somebody here in OK who would buy them from you with an option for you to buy them back; alternatively, you might be able to rent a storage locker or somesuch, depending upon the length of your stay in Germany.

I hate to see you lose your guns. I can tell you from painful experience that the guns I let go of when I was younger are the ones I miss the most now. Maybe you could find a way to store them or someone you trust who could hold them for you.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honeybee, doesn't he have to qualify as an Oklahoma resident in order to do a private transfer to another Okie? Does a recent military transfer here qualify him for residency under these circumstances?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are welcome to keep your guns in my safe until you return to the states.

I'm sure there are other members(trustworthy) that would offer the same thing for you that may be closer to Lawton.

Latest posts

Top Bottom