Trapping hog... What to expect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well about a month ago we put out some feeders on the uncles place down in Atoka Co. to try and kill some hogs off of. This past weekend we went back to give it a shot. Well both feeders were knocked over (kind of expected it) one was about destroyed and emptied and the other was banged up but not broken. We set the non-destroyed one back up and planned on hanging it out of reach. The other had to come home for repairs. Well we went into town to get more corn and rope to hang the feeder and atwoods had a hog trap on sale for 50% off, well I'm a kid who loves new toys so I couldn't resist. We got it setup and baited (corn and sweetfeed) right where the feeder was so I know there will be hogs around.
Well I've never trapped before and I've read about leaving the door open and baiting it to get the hogs used to going in and out. This feeder has a one way door and I just left it ready for action and put some feed in the opening and a pile in the back of the trap.
I guess my question is, should I really expect to start catching hogs or is it like I've read on a few site saying trapping is a lot of work. Pigs are smart and won't go around traps if u don't do this or that or if you do this or that and blah blah blah... I'm really just doing it for fun and maybe to put one or two in the freezer but my uncle kind of wants me to "kill the all" so to speak.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For multiples of hogs a figure 6 trap or a pen with a resetting door would be ideal for a feeder set up. But your box style trap will work to catch a few. Some will wise up and be tough to catch. If you have it set, please check it daily. For the bigger hogs (smarter) I have had best results with wiring gate open for awhile and then setting the trap. If you left trap ready for action and tried to careful with scent you might have a pig or two. I haven't seen the atwood trap. I would like a pic of it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are just wantin to trap a few pigs for the freezer, you are probably doing fine. You'll catch the first few that enter the trap, beyond that... hard to say. If you were using a big figure 6 trap like Bassin mentioned, leaving the door open for a few days and getting them used to the trap is the best method. Then when you are confident that they are used to the trap, you set it and if all goes well, you catch the whole sounder. My best results are when you have stable weather and the pigs are not changing their patterns much. Everytime a big rain comes, they seem to change their pattern and diet and I don't get as good of results. Watch your scent carefully, don't drive up to the trap, smoke, spit, or piss anywhere close, and wear rubber boots. They are not dumb animals. Once they get wise to your game, move the trap over a few feet and repeat. I've found that just moving the trap or turning it can greatly influence your catch. Corn is bout the best bait I've tried, and if plain corn isn't doing it for you, mix in a little water and fruity (I use strawberry) jello or koolaid and some sugar, little water. You are looking to give it a sweet sugary scent, so there is no magic formula for amounts. Go over to texasboars.com and read the trapping forum. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Good luck with your project, and post pics.

Oh yeah, and this time of year they need water. That is going to be hard in a box trap because your room is limited and they'll turn over anything you put in there. At least keep your trap in the shade and check at first light and you'll be fine.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trap is 4x4x8 and has a top hinged one way door on the front. Actually it's three 16" doors side by side (I'm guessing so only one hog can fit keeping others from getting out). I only paid $99 for it and I figured material alone would cost that not including the time to build it. I didn't take a whole lot pic, just one in the back of the truck after we bought it.
My uncles place is 2.5hrs away so checking everyday isn't really an option for me but my uncle said he would keep an eye on it this week. It is set up in the shade thought, I made sure of that. I will be going back this weekend though to get everything back up and going. I will take some pics of the trap and the rest of the setup while I'm there.
If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone I would post the one I have.

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Photobucket is an app for I phones . Download app choose pic and download hit the I in the bottom corner then click on the bottom URL then go back to OSA and paste URL on reply to thread and hooray. Sorry for off topic but just trying to help you out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom