DHS Vouchers for car repairs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was driving down 23rd at lunch and saw a sign at a garage that said "DHS Vouchers Accpeted". Help me out here, is there a progam where you can get your car fixed with DHS money?

Before I spout off what I think of such a program, can anyone tell me if it really exists?

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It existed when I left that hell-hole back in 2001. Welfare recipients could get a voucher for up to $750 for "work related expenses", including a down payment on a car. The cars then constantly broke down and they would get multiple, several hundred dollar vouchers for repairs. Never mind that most of them wouldn't make the payments and it would end up repossessed.

I don't know if the program still exists but based on the way it evolved while I was there I expect the current requirements to be more lenient and the amounts larger.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the Oklahoma DHS website.

The department will provide payment for transportation costs incurred in travel to and from JOBS or other approved activities. Payment is made only for the cost of public transportation or the cost of vehicle insurance, repairs and fuel for a client-owned vehicle. Payments that allow clients to use public transportation are the highest priority for DHS. However, payments for private transportation will be provided if the following are true:

•The client or driver has a valid driver's license;

•No public transportation is available;

•Public transportation is available, but the client has a verifiable medical condition or disability that keeps them from utilizing public transportation and for which no accommodation is available; and

•Public transportation is available, but it is more costly than the cost of car repair or fuel.
In considering transportation payments, it is vital that staff evaluate all aspects of the client's transportation need and cost-effectiveness for DHS. For example, if DHS' child care cost will be higher as a result of requiring a client to ride the bus instead of driving their own car or getting a ride with another person, staff should consider paying for gas vouchers or other payments.

DHS will not authorize car repairs for a vehicle owned by an individual who is not in the TANF filing group. However, there may be other resources available to the client. For example, there may be shuttle services that can connect a client with employment or activities in other areas.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not suprised this kind of program exists either. I'd never even heard of such a thing till I read this thread so thanks for bringing it up. It'll give me something to talk about with my congressman next time he comes by asking for my vote.

In other news, you don't have to be a citizen of the United States to qualify for reduced or free school lunches.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When a driver wrecked my car a few years ago, running a red light and was cited for same, their insurance co, USAA flatly refused to pay, so I was left afoot. I used a bicycle or hoofed it for almost a year, until tax time when I was able to buy a car. It never occurred to me to seek help from DHS...:homer: I guess I just don't think like the welfare entitlement class...

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charity comes from friends/family/church, NOT the government. Here's one for ya....DHS debit cards can be used at beauty supply stores to buy hair extensions, weaves, wigs, & feathers. These feathers & extensions are in high demand and the cost is staggering. All paid for by you, the taxpayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGQUm8BRBJs

Now, turn off your computer and get back to work. ERRRBody down in 'da hood is counting on you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom