Gunwalker and the budget: Crises in the integrity of government

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the article goes, I take issue with one point. Social Security is contractually obligated entitlement spending. The .gov took that money from taxpayers with the promise that they would give it back. Retirees who have met the age requirement ARE ENTITLED to get their money back from the .gov. Medicare, unemployment, welfare, etc. ARE NOT entitlements. they are socialized handouts at the expense of others. I get really peeved when they try to use "entitlement" as a dirty word. It's not. Lumping SS in with other programs like Medicare, Medicade, etc. really ticks me off.

As for the rest of the article, I think we're missing a golden opportunity here. I think we should be pressuring our "leaders" in DC to NOT pass a budget or increase the debt ceiling. I think it would be perfectly acceptable to lose our AAA credit rating, because we haven't earned it and don't deserve it. I think we need to send a clear message to Congress and the Obama administration that the party's over. They can either stop spending like drunken sailors on shore leave or face the consequences. If we back them into a corner, then we'll really get to see what if anything they stand for. It's time for them to fish or cut bait. :(

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the article goes, I take issue with one point. Social Security is contractually obligated entitlement spending. The .gov took that money from taxpayers with the promise that they would give it back. Retirees who have met the age requirement ARE ENTITLED to get their money back from the .gov. Medicare, unemployment, welfare, etc. ARE NOT entitlements. they are socialized handouts at the expense of others. I get really peeved when they try to use "entitlement" as a dirty word. It's not. Lumping SS in with other programs like Medicare, Medicade, etc. really ticks me off.

As for the rest of the article, I think we're missing a golden opportunity here. I think we should be pressuring our "leaders" in DC to NOT pass a budget or increase the debt ceiling. I think it would be perfectly acceptable to lose our AAA credit rating, because we haven't earned it and don't deserve it. I think we need to send a clear message to Congress and the Obama administration that the party's over. They can either stop spending like drunken sailors on shore leave or face the consequences. If we back them into a corner, then we'll really get to see what if anything they stand for. It's time for them to fish or cut bait. :(

Im with you on this

Latest posts

Top Bottom