Is it legal for my son to shoot a Red Rider BB Gun in my backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows if it is legal for my son to shoot a Red Rider BB Gun in my backyard in Edmond?

On a whim, I looked through the City of Edmond website for any regulations or anything that would tell me and when I found nothing, thought wth, I'll just call the police dept.

The lady who answered the phone acted like I was crazy for even asking the question and told me it was not legal but she didn't really sound like she knew what she was talking about. Not really sure what to think. It would blow my mind if it is illegal but stranger things than that are going on around here these days so thought I'd post in here and see if anyone knows?!?

Thanks

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure of the legality of it, but so long as there's a proper backstop and he's not popping peoples' windows out I seriously doubt you guys would have any problems.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nope you can not soot a bb gun in Edmond....

8.12.020 - Discharging firearms.

It is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm in the city except when doing so in line of duty, when lawfully doing so in defense of oneself, of another person or of property or when otherwise authorized by this code or any law or ordinance. It is unlawful to discharge an air rifle or BB gun in the City. Any person violating the provisions of this Section shall be deemed guilty of an offense and punished for a Class A offense as set forth in Section 2.56.210. (1954 Code § 248; Ord. 2513, § 31, Oct. 11, 1999).

and in fact they have ordinance agianst possession of toy guns even...

8.12.025 - Toy Guns, Air Soft Guns and Replica Firearms.

(A)
Toy Guns, Air Soft Guns and Replica Firearms-Definitions.
As used in this Section, the term "replica firearm" means and shall include any device or object made of plastic, wood, metal or any other material, which is a facsimile or toy version of or is otherwise recognizable as a pistol, revolver, shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher, or any other firearm, as that term is used under the provisions of Title 15 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Volume 3, Chapter XI, Part 1150 Marking of Toy, Look-Alike and Imitation Firearms. These terms will apply regardless of whether the replica is meant to be a child's toy, an air soft projectile firing gun or an adult collectible. However, this definition shall not include training equipment used in the training of police officers in firearms handling which may fire soft projectiles or match the true dimensions of an actual firearm.
For the purposes of this Section, the meaning of "firearm" shall be the same as the meaning of that term under the State Laws prohibiting the carrying of weapons, 21 O.S. § 1272, but shall also include air rifles, pellet and BB guns under Section (B)(2) of this Section.
(B)
Unlawful Activities Involving Toy Guns, Air Soft Guns and Replica Firearms.
It shall be an offence for any person to possess a toy gun, air soft gun, or replica firearm, said item not containing a blaze orange plug permanently affixed to the muzzle end of the barrel thereof; or not having a blaze orange marking permanently affixed to the barrel itself; or is not entirely transparent or is not entirely white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple as described in 15 U.S.C. Chapter XI, Part 1150.3; whether such lack of compliance is caused by failure of the manufacturer to install same or conform to same or whether modified by removal or painting after purchase, possession of said item shall be a Class B Misdemeanor as defined by the Ordinances of the City of Edmond.
It shall be an offence for any person in the presence of another person to draw, exhibit or brandish a toy gun, air gun, replica firearm, air rifle, pellet or BB gun as described in Subsection 8.12.025(A), whether or not said item contains the markings listed in Section (B)(1), when such action causes the victim to reasonably believe that the person is actually in possession of an operable firearm, or who in any manner unlawfully uses the same in any fight or quarrel, or who simulates a firearm in a threatening manner. Violation of this Section shall be a Class A Misdemeanor as defined by the Ordinances of the City of Edmond. (Ord. 3201, § 1, April 13, 2009).

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, there you go... oh well, I guess I'll keep it locked up in the safe with all the other "dangerous stuff"... gives me an excuse to make more trips to the range...

It's great to live in a "free country"... pff

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a garage you could use as an indoor range?
All you need is a cardboard box, a wood or metal rod and a piece of canvas.
Suspend the canvas on the rod inside the box.
The bb's hit the canvas and drop to bottom of box and you can use them over and over.
Daisy makes one, probably available at Academy or Outdoor America.

Latest posts

Top Bottom