Is it legal for my son to shoot a Red Rider BB Gun in my backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moore and Norman are both the same way now. I would be carefull as well, IF it ever became an issue and you have a CCL it could cause you some grief with your CCL if you were charges with discharging a firearm with in city limits.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go buy a few hay bails, stack em up near the fence and have a good time. Just make sure he's only shooting that and nothing else. We did it all the time growing up.

That's how my Dad taught me gun safety and how to shoot. Shame of it is though that if your neighbors see you there's a pretty high possibility they will turn you in for it nowadays. My little cousins were playing airsoft in a backyard with a 9 foot privacy fence, and when the neighbors saw them from their second floor balcony with those little 10 dollar walmart airsoft pistols they called the cops.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just crazy. I grew up in an OKC residential neighborhood. I had a backpack full of realistic pistols and cap guns plus a few reduced sized rifles. The neighborhood kids on my block would play army all over the next several streets. We'd hide in the neighbors' bushes and "ambush" each other, fire off hundreds of caps in a day and just generally run all over with our toy guns. No one ever said a word to us. It amazes me how "far" we've come as a society.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a garage you could use as an indoor range?
All you need is a cardboard box, a wood or metal rod and a piece of canvas.
Suspend the canvas on the rod inside the box.
The bb's hit the canvas and drop to bottom of box and you can use them over and over.
Daisy makes one, probably available at Academy or Outdoor America.

You can also use politicallly incorrect t-shirts in place of the canvas or just an old towel and tape paper targets to the front of the box. Be careful though that the "little terrorists" don't get outta the garage and bust a cap on the neighbor's dog's be-hind! It's the lock-up for you pal!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its sad that common sense isn't all that common. If proper safety precautions were used then I wouldn't have any issue with somebody shooting BB/air rifles in their backyard. I've had several incidents of BB guns causing near harm or damage in my neighborhood. My neighbor who lives across the street let his kid shoot in the backyard without a backstop and unsupervised. I wasn't too happy when a BB passed through my living room and bounced off a wall. I just about whipped my neighbors a$$ for being so negligent.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its sad that common sense isn't all that common. If proper safety precautions were used then I wouldn't have any issue with somebody shooting BB/air rifles in their backyard. I've had several incidents of BB guns causing near harm or damage in my neighborhood. My neighbor who lives across the street let his kid shoot in the backyard without a backstop and unsupervised. I wasn't too happy when a BB passed through my living room and bounced off a wall. I just about whipped my neighbors a$$ for being so negligent.

Not good.

It is true that BB guns are much more powerful as a rule today than they were when I was a kid so that is a factor I can't ignore. That and maybe it's just me, but the proportion of dumba$$ also seems higher and leads to things like what Sol had.

I still don't like the ordinance though... One could argue (and I will) that people who will shoot them inside city limits still will and the ordinance will do nothing to prevent issues, it will only allow the police to charge someone with a liability type crime rather than just dealing with any abuse of the BB gun and the ensuing real crime if they use it for harm.

Madcoy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 boys and they all have shot BB guns at a backstop in my backyard. I live in Snobville "Edmond" and I have never had a problem. Been doing it for 14 years. I supervise my them up to about the age of 15 then they have their own private BB range. My neighbors have ask me "Are you shooting BB guns?" I reply like the dude on Auction Wars. "YeeeaaaPPP" So far they have not called the laws down on me. But that may be because they think I am a crazy right wing Gun totting tea parting beer drinking redneck!!!! But I say set it up and let them fly into a good back stop..

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 boys and they all have shot BB guns at a backstop in my backyard. I live in Snobville "Edmond" and I have never had a problem. Been doing it for 14 years. I supervise my them up to about the age of 15 then they have their own private BB range. My neighbors have ask me "Are you shooting BB guns?" I reply like the dude on Auction Wars. "YeeeaaaPPP" So far they have not called the laws down on me. But that may be because they think I am a crazy right wing Gun totting tea parting beer drinking redneck!!!! But I say set it up and let them fly into a good back stop..

you, sir, get my vote for best first post ever

Latest posts

Top Bottom