Bead vs Ghost Ring for Home Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully just the sound of the 870 pumping will make the bad guy have a need to be in the next county.

Man I hate this saying so badly. I hope that me saying "I have a gun and will shoot you if I see you. I have the Police on the phone and they are on their way." will make them wish they were in the next county.

To the OP bead will be plenty. As someone already pointed out when you are freaking out because you see Johnny Punk walking down your hallway your just going to shoulder, sqeeze, pump, repeat. At 20 feet I'd surely expect anyone here to hit a milk jug, even those who don't own a shotgun as long as they have shot any long gun to include bb guns.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all boils down to whether or not you can hit a target the size of a pizza box at 5 yds in the dark. So go out to a friend's place in the country in the dead of night, strip down to your underwear, nail a pizza box to a tree, wait for your night vision to kick in, and blast away. If you haven't hit anything, add a flashlight. Repeat. If you still haven't hit anything, put your clothes on and leave your shottie at your friends house. Ghost ring sights aren't going to help you out. Think about investing in a laser or maybe a bodyguard.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're not likely to use sights at all for HD. At that point it's all instinct. For all practical purposes you could put a glob of bubble gum on the end of the barrel and it would be just as effective in that situation.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say go with what you are most comfortable with, either will work great. My 590 has excellent ghost ring sights, I see meprolight is making a front tritium sight for my gun. It is on my short list.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, My bedroom and the kids bedroom are at the end of a 25' halway, wee keep our end blacked out at night, but in the front of the house, the kitchen and living room are one big room and we have a 60 gal aquarium that we leave the light on in. I can stand in the hallway and if you are in the kitchen/living room area you cant see me, but I can see everything down from me. So in my case a light wouldnt be a very useful option. Also I learned to shoot shottys, with skeet and dove hunting, I just look down the barrel, no sights needed, as you all know a skeet or a dove at 10-20 yds is alot smaller than a BG's vitals...

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I hate this saying so badly. I hope that me saying "I have a gun and will shoot you if I see you. I have the Police on the phone and they are on their way." will make them wish they were in the next county.

+1 to this!

My ex wanted a shotgun because she believed that the sound of the pump would be intimidating. Nuts. That just lets them know that you are awake, aware, and located in the direction the sound came from. Gives them a better chance of shooting you.

I hope I don't ever have to shoot someone in my house, but if I do, the last thing I want them to hear is the sound of their own footsteps on my creaky old wood floors, followed by St. Peter asking, "What are you doing here?"

We have beads on all our shotguns. If you can point a stick, you can shoot a shotgun at close range.

That said, those ghost rings are really cool looking! I'd like one with a set just 'cause they are neato, but I'm not buying any for my shotties I already own.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sound of a pump is also a warning just like the verbal one suggested. Its an extra intimidation factor. If the BG won't be intimidated he's going down anyway. I don't leave it chambered for this reason beside my bed. I knew a guy who stopped a confrontation by pumping his 870. The stranger heard it and drove off. It will be pumped the first thing when I get out of bed. In a quiet house it will be heard easily. It may warn the BG but so will the creaking of the door opening. It really depends upon your situation, the fact is that you still have a firearm in your own home to defend yourself. This is all that is needed since most of the time confrontations are resolved by merely the presentation of a firearm anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom