Best Place for Wooden Fence Materials and Supplies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've finally heard back from the neighbor behind me on replacing our shared fence and am considering tackling the job myself (with his financial assistance). The only places I know of to find panels are Lowe's and Home Depot but the reviews on the pre-treated panels at Lowe's have mixed reviews (complaints about warping and such). Do lumber stores usually carry fence panels?

I'm looking for a place in the Edmond area preferably with quality wood (cedar or redwood (can we get redwood panels here in OK?)) that'll last more than 2 seasons.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine at lowes, happy for the most part, maybe one bad panel (warping) out of the lot. I did do galvanizes steel posts though. My neighbor got panels I think cheaper than I did, at Lumber 84, and they look really good. I thought they were custom/built on site, but they were the cheap white pine I believe.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything I see at Lowes.com shows 6x8 panels with only 2 backer rails. Shouldn't a 6' fence have 3? Sure, I could add my own I guess, but if I'm picking up pre-assembled panels I'd prefer they be assembled properly.

Do you know if what your buddy got from the lumber yard has 2 or 3 (assuming it's a 6' fence)?

Edit - Finally got HomeDepot.com to work, I see pressure-treated dog-ear fence panels with 3 rails there. I usually give the bird to Home Depot, but they might be the ones getting my business this time around.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get pickets any day of the week.

This will be the first time installing a fence, so could you elaborate?

As far as wood type, I'm only seeing two types of pine -- Monterey/Radiata Pine and Brazilian Pine. Any benefit of one over the other? I've tried researching the differences but can only see that radiata is one of the denser pines available. This fence runs east/west so it needs to be sturdy enough to handle our strong north & south winds.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting pickets allows you to build your own fence. Many of the panels are assembled cheaply. Like noted above many are only two rail. Some are assembled using nails that won't hold as well as screws. If you use panels at least buy more 2x4s and add another rail. Also use 2x4's to tie each panel together by putting a 2x4 across where 2 panels adjoining them together.

I used cedar pickets from Fox Lumber.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, if you can pay with cash I can meet you at HD or Lowes, I get a 10% Military discount.

Really? That'd be awesome! Paying with cash wouldn't be a problem. I could treat you to lunch at a spot of your choice or whatever. The guy helping me is busy this weekend and my birthday is next weekend, so it'd have to be 3 weekends from now before I could get to it and I'm not sure it can wait that long. The storm last night messed the fence up pretty bad (which is why the guy finally called me back) and I don't think the guy/fence can wait that long. I'm trying to see if I have another buddy that can lend a hand.

He had to prop up the fence with a board or else it'd be laying on the ground right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom