Model 38 Ammo Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Earlier today, I acquired a new-to-me S&W Model 38 (no-dash) Bodyguard Airweight. It's in beautiful condition and I can't wait to get it on the range.

This being my first wheelgun, I need some suggestions for the proper ammo. What do you guys recommend for practice and SD? It's going to be used as a CC BUG and I sure don't want to beat it up with hot loads. It's not a +P revolver.

I was looking on the Buffalo Bore website and found some 158gr lead semi-wadcutter HPs. It got great reviews from shooters of older air weight j-frames, like mine. And at a mere $25.50 a box, a steal to boot!:ooh2:

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking either of these might be a good SD option: Federal Nyclad Hollow Point, 125 gr. or Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only 38 Spl ammo I have currently is a box of PMC Bronze 132gr FMJs. I'm pretty sure that will make decent range ammo.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Top Bottom