subsonic 7.62X39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any available to the public? Or do you have to load your own?

Also does anyone have any ballistics on any subsonic 7.62X39?

The reason I am asking is I am thinking of building a 7.62X39 can for my SBR AK.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the info I've seen they are using heavy bullets and most of the guys rebarreled to use .308 bullets, trajectories well most were about like a rainbow LOL my .308 loads with 165gr cast bullets with a zero using full house 175 SMK's is 12" low at 100 yards but sound about like a 22 mag going off :-) I don't have a can so not sure how they would sound but I'm thinking it would be evil quiet.

Most of the sub-sonic stuff you have to roll your own to get what you want, I did learn to load high and work your way down though! seen lots of bullets stop just before they exited the barrel so if you give it a whirl be safe! Later,

Kirk

jackwhitter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've seen only 1 or 2 production subsonic loads, but they kept the slugs within the normal AK weights (~150 grains). to get the most out of a subsonic load, i think you would need to load your own to get the heaviest bullet at subsonic speeds. if you are not trying to maximize distance, you could cast your own wadcutter type loadings, since a long, heavy and aerodynamic bullet would need a higher twist. a shorter stubbier round would stabilize easier in the same twist already in an AK, and then you could easily switch between subsonic rounds and standard rounds. you also have to consider that just lowering the amount of powder to slow a standard bullet down would make it harder for the AK to cycle. you want a round with nearly the same momentum, but kept at subsonic speeds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom