Sooner State Pawn Oklahoma Second Amendment Association 2A Shooting Center Harsh Firearms Fat Boy Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oklahoma Law Regarding Knives

Have been looking over some automatic knives I could carry in lieu of my smaller spring assisted pocket knife when I felt the need to carry it. Anyone familiar with the law regarding these? My understanding is that automatics require some kind of permit (maybe), but spring-assisted don't? The small lockblade I carry for every day use is spring assisted; what would I need to do to legally carry a larger automatic, and is it OK to carry a larger spring assisted knife? Why the discrepancy between "auto" and "assisted"?

According to 21-1272 (I think that's right) it's not unlawful to carry if:

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Does that fall under the CCW?
    "Some of us are often accused of always crying 'wolf'. But it is worth noting that one day the wolf came".
    Pat Buchanan

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution that gave Congress the right to expend, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents".
    James Madison

Patron

Default Re: Oklahoma Law Regarding Knives

no,,,,the rest is kinda Grey

Natural selection, don't intervene. Kennedy

[QUOTE=twoguns?;1598520]no,,,,the rest is kinda Ghey[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

Patron

[QUOTE=WTJ;1598533]
    Quote Originally Posted by twoguns? View Post
    no,,,,the rest is kinda Ghey[/QUOTE]

Fixed.
    Thank You thats what I ment

Natural selection, don't intervene. Kennedy

This thread pretty much sums it up. Unless you're LE or active duty mil on orders, I wouldn't get caught outside the home carrying an auto knife.
    J.B.

It simply cannot be overstated. The pathological need for the illusion of control outweighs all other factors in our society. Risk aversion is one of THE most powerful religions in modern day America. It is the people's shepherd. Without it, the flock would be lost.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Glocktogo's Feedback

I have never been searched and any time i have had contact with le none have said anything about what kind of pocket knife i had. Even the ones i have rode with before. Just don't be a moron and wave it around and if they ask be honest, if your not a felon i am pretty sure they won't do jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    This thread pretty much sums it up. Unless you're LE or active duty mil on orders, I wouldn't get caught outside the home carrying an auto knife.
    But a "spring assisted" is OK, right? They aren't considered a "switchblade" as far as I can see - that should be the automatic.

The posted thread doesn't give much more insight into the law, either. My concern isn't so much getting caught carrying one, but if I ever had to use one in self defense. Don't want to get grilled in court.
    "Some of us are often accused of always crying 'wolf'. But it is worth noting that one day the wolf came".
    Pat Buchanan

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution that gave Congress the right to expend, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents".
    James Madison

I agree... out on the town stick to you spring assist opening knife. Less problems.

"knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife"

This part is what clears it up IMO, most of the assisted opening knives are opened by a stud or "Lip" on the blade itself, not in the handle.

I have a funny story. I was in the military stationed in Colorado Springs at Fort Carson and it was 230 a.m. and we were sitting at Denny's enjoying the nasty drunk mans food and a fight broke out. A guy fell into our seats and threw a punch for no reason and one of the guys gave him a very nice get away from our table throw. Then the police came and during the altercation my buddy who was eating pancakes had a butter knife in his hand while he was trying to push a guy away from our table. The police almost took him to jail because he had a butter knife in his hand. It was considered a deadly weapon. Thank God he was the DD and was sober or he would have went to jail. They let him off the hook. The moral of the story is do not have anything in your hand when you are trying to brake up a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by james.robert.martin View Post
    Then the police came and during the altercation my buddy who was eating pancakes had a butter knife in his hand while he was trying to push a guy away from our table. The police almost took him to jail because he had a butter knife in his hand. It was considered a deadly weapon. Thank God he was the DD and was sober or he would have went to jail.
    That's nuts!
    There's an assault/a salt pun somewhere in here. I can feel it.
    "We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question." -- from Speaker for the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Greengiant View Post
    to the liberals we are to stupid for all thought

Quote Originally Posted by Lithiumokc View Post
    "knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife"

This part is what clears it up IMO, most of the assisted opening knives are opened by a stud or "Lip" on the blade itself, not in the handle.
    Thanks. I knew the basic difference, but not the legal difference. I'll just go with a new spring assisted in a larger size than what I've got.
    Pat Buchanan

James Madison

**Notice, not legal advice just my humble interpenetration of the text.

Like most laws in oklahoma, retarded to say the least. Its a knife....sheesh.