.45 ACP U.S. Surplus Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The US quit selling surplus pistol ammo in 68, but were allowed to continue selling rifle ammo to the public thru the DCM.
Since they couldn't sell it, they quit making it and gave/sold the stocks to other countries and of course 50 years of the US military using it up its pretty much gone.
One of the rules for bringing in US surplus from say Korea or Israel is that if we gave it to them its still considered US property and they won't let it in.
If they can follow the paper trail and prove the US sold it to the foreign country the ownership has changed hands and it can be re-imported. Sometimes very difficult and too expensive to follow the trail so it gets sold to some 4th world country like Somalia or Chad.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The US quit selling surplus pistol ammo in 68, but were allowed to continue selling rifle ammo to the public thru the DCM.
Since they couldn't sell it, they quit making it and gave/sold the stocks to other countries and of course 50 years of the US military using it up its pretty much gone.
One of the rules for bringing in US surplus from say Korea or Israel is that if we gave it to them its still considered US property and they won't let it in.
If they can follow the paper trail and prove the US sold it to the foreign country the ownership has changed hands and it can be re-imported. Sometimes very difficult and too expensive to follow the trail so it gets sold to some 4th world country like Somalia or Chad.

You are correct as to the CMP not being allowed to sell .45acp or 9MM and other types of ammo, but its not because its not made or still stored by the US Military. It has to do with the fact that the CMP is no longer a govermnet agency, but has been turned into a non-profit organization, and it no longer has the ability to aquire handguns or the ammunition for them. The US Military still stocks large quantities of small arms for pistols in .32acp, .38spl, .45acp, 9mm. At this time instead of selling off stocks to make money, they declass it to demil status, and destroy it by burning. Most of this ammunition looks as new as the day it was made, an only certain quantities are stored now to cover surplus stocks of firearms i.e. 1911A1, Thompson M1, M1 Garand, BAR, M1919 series. SW Model 10, and Colt Police Positive special revolvers.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct as to the CMP not being allowed to sell .45acp or 9MM and other types of ammo, but its not because its not made or still stored by the US Military. It has to do with the fact that the CMP is no longer a govermnet agency, but has been turned into a non-profit organization, and it no longer has the ability to aquire handguns or the ammunition for them. The US Military still stocks large quantities of small arms for pistols in .32acp, .38spl, .45acp, 9mm. At this time instead of selling off stocks to make money, they declass it to demil status, and destroy it by burning. Most of this ammunition looks as new as the day it was made, an only certain quantities are stored now to cover surplus stocks of firearms i.e. 1911A1, Thompson M1, M1 Garand, BAR, M1919 series. SW Model 10, and Colt Police Positive special revolvers.

It makes me sad to think of all that good ammo being destroyed. American tax $ were spent to purchase and maintain that ammo all these years and we shouldn't allow this to happen.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It makes me sad to think of all that good ammo being destroyed. American tax $ were spent to purchase and maintain that ammo all these years and we shouldn't allow this to happen.

Its criminal. My Navy buddy told me all kinds of stories about the perfectly good equipment that he was responsible for blowing up. What worse is that there were units that needed better equipment and couldn't get it but here he was destroying practically new equipment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom