Palmetto State Armory AR-15 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DS-11B

Marksman
Reaction score
I have been very happy with PSA. I built a 9mm on a PSA lower and a couple of weeks ago, I built a 556 on a PSA lower. I know a few guys who have shot the hell out of them and really like them. I just started building a PSA lower tonight. It is going back in the safe until I decide what to do with it. I am sure that I will buy more PSA products in the future.
[Broken External Image]

Looks good! I have that same brinkman flashlight btw.... That is a GOOD deal on a flashlight. Can't beat that for 15 bucks!

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice build,and great review. That is pretty much the same set up I'm thinking of building. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in it minus optics?

DS-11B

Marksman
Reaction score
Nice build,and great review. That is pretty much the same set up I'm thinking of building. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in it minus optics?

Lets see...here's a breakdown:
Arredondo Comp: 120
Upper half: 530
Lower receiver: 80
DD LPK: 80
JP Match Trigger: 120
VLTOR A5 Stock Kit: 224
Magpul MIAD grip: 35
If you add all that up it comes to 1189.00

Not bad for all the high end accessories. I could have NOT used the Arredondo comp and JP trigger (it had a standard flash hider on it and the DD LPK comes with a trigger group) and that would have shaved 240 off the price making it 949. I could have put a Magpul CTR stock kit on it instead of the VLTOR A5 kit which would have made it about 860.

I am happy with the accessories I chose though. Because of them, the rifle is at least competition capable. I don't know How capable but it will shoot very fast and stay on target the whole time. I will shoot a video demo next weekend if I have time and post it in here to demonstrate why I think the additional 444 dollars was worth it.

As it is, it came out to 1189.

Add the Vortex scope: 500
and the YHM one piece scope mount: 115

and that brings the total, WITH optic (and a good one) to just over 1700.

That is a little more than I like to spend on an AR but I was going all out on this build. I sold one of my other ARs and some other stuff that was lying around that I didn't need so I basically only paid for the scope and the mount.

DS-11B

Marksman
Reaction score
Nice build, and excellent range report.

Sorry if ignorant question: what's the point of BUIS if you have to use tools to get the optics off?

Sounds like a legitimate question to me. One that I had to weigh pro's and con's to myself. IMO mounts like this are going to lock down better. Larue can talk all day til he's blue in the face about how great his mounts are. I'm sure they are and I'd love to have one, but I still think if it bolts down it is going to lock down better.

With that said, the likelihood that something is going to happen to the optic is pretty slim so to me it is a calculated risk I am willing to take. Also, I always carry a multi-tool with me so even though it is not as quickly detachable as a quicklever mount, I can get it off pretty quickly.

I'd rather have them on there and have to spend an extra 5 seconds getting the optic off then not have them on there and have the means of getting the optic off if I'd had the BUIS anyway.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would say that PSA lowers are on par with the others out there.
I've owned/had experience with Bushmaster, Rock river arms, CMMG, Colt, Quentin Defense, Panther, Spikes and of course PSA. In my opinion they're all quite equal as far as quality of the lower is concerned, I've never had a single part not fit properly onto any of those lowers I've mentioned and they've all performed as they should.
The only real difference I've found with any of them has been the quality of the engraving on them. Spikes has the best engraving that I've found so far, it's nice and crisp and looks very well done. PSA's engraving isn't too bad, but it's not as crisp as Spikes.

When it really comes down to it, most of them will perform well beyond what you'll probably need it for so the only thing to be really nit-picking about would be the price and the picture on the side.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap, those are some good deals on complete uppers! Thanks for turning me on to those. I will definitely be going with PSA rather than BCM or CMMG for my 20" CL gov't profile build... they sell the same thing for about $170 cheaper. That looks to be the lowest price around on a complete mil-spec upper with all the features from the chart. A FN barrel... it doesn't get any more mil spec than that. And it will match up well with the lower I just ordered from PSA. As soon as my buddy gets back from Afghanistan and pays me the money he owes me, that sucker will be on order!

I am also wanting to put that same MI 12" handguard on it that you have. I would go with a Troy too, but they don't make them in 12", which I need since I want it on a 20" rifle with the factory fixed front sight. I just talked to a guy at PSA and he said they couldn't sell me that 20" 5.56 FN upper with that rail (which is strange since they sell other 20" uppers with it), so it looks like I would have to buy it separately and put it on myself.

I thought about that Vltor A5 stock setup, but I will probably just go with a CTR kit since it's cheaper and does everything I need.

Thanks for the write-up.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DS-11b,

Thanks for the write-up and range data. I have been looking for something different for an upper to mate with my Plum Crazy Lower. Your review got me interested in PSA's offerings.
I did more research and found nothing but great reviews on their equipment. Decided to go with your same upper after doing some research on the Wylde system and chrome barrels.
Ordered Monday, web page says they will build the peice and ship with in 7 days. I am glad I stumbled across your review.

Latest posts

Top Bottom