I'm stuck, help me out! .308 or .260 round and round...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've planned on doing a .260 for years and now that I've got everything to do it I'm thinking a .308 would better suit the use of the rifle. I'm fixing to take parts to my smith for a 7mm SAUM build which will shoot as far as I'll ever need to (smoke the .260), but the performance of the .260 is awesome.

It'll be used as a hunting, target, maybe tactical comps someday, etc. I just like the idea of being able to buy factory match ammo for the same or cheaper than handloads, in the .308. When it comes to the .260 you might as well forget factory ammo because I'm not spending $30/box +, but the performance is so much better than the .308...........

Help me out, what do you think??

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fixing to take parts to my smith for a 7mm SAUM build which will shoot as far as I'll ever need to (smoke the .260), but the performance of the .260 is awesome.

Slow down, not exactly answer to your question, but 7 saum vs 260 is not an open and shut case, at least not in sub 1000 yard.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with that, but as far as having two different rifles for long range the SAUM is still going to be on top of the .260. BC of 180 Bergers around .674 at 2900 fps would be hard to beat. Inside 1000, yes, they will be similar, but wind will be easier with the long 7mm...

I'm really just trying to compare the .308 for factory ammo offerings to the .260 and justifying not having the .260 because of the SAUM performance.

Do I just do the .260 and handload? I'd like to have a standby .308 and pot loads of ammo though...

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not have the best of both worlds and hand load for the .308 for really accurate rounds and if you are just out bustin' crows, as it were, shoot factory stuff? If you already have a reloading press all you need is dies, powder, and bullets, you can use the brass from your store bought stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom