Anyone use Moleskin for holster wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some internet searching to check out a seemingly common problem with kydex holsters. I just bought a Blackhawk CCQ Serpa tonight and I love the feel, speed and draw of it. The downside of course is why I have never owned one before, which is the fast wear it causes to slide finish. I have only holstered and unholstered it maybe 15-20 times just to test fit everything and it is already starting to have very slight wear on the muzzle end where it contacts the end of the holster.

Long story short, I have read online that many people use moleskin self adhesive patches ( found in any drugstore in the footcare isle ) on the very end near the muzzle to reduce/eliminate the wear on that part. Apparantly it's simple to put on, works really well, and can be replaced very easily.

has anyone tried this before on a kydex holster? and if you have any pics that would be even better!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
oh and I know some people will say "holster wear adds character" or "love the look of the worn guns", ect. I will say cool I am happy for ya! as for me I know i'm OCD my wife tells me all the time. But I feel about like my guns like I do my wife, I don't want the old worn look on her and I don't want the old worn look on them! LOL. Hope she never looks at this.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think eventually anything rubbing against the pistol will cause wear...even leather holsters cause wear. So moleskin might just delay the inevitable while adding the additional possibilty of peeling off, clogging and otherwise wreaking havoc inside the holster.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comptac sells sheets of it, but as a backing for their holsters, ie the side against the body. Should be durable enough, and I believe I have seen some other companies line holsters with it as well.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think eventually anything rubbing against the pistol will cause wear...even leather holsters cause wear. So moleskin might just delay the inevitable while adding the additional possibilty of peeling off, clogging and otherwise wreaking havoc inside the holster.
he doesn't keep a pistol long enough to worry about that. it's short term.....very short term

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some internet searching to check out a seemingly common problem with kydex holsters. I just bought a Blackhawk CCQ Serpa tonight and I love the feel, speed and draw of it. The downside of course is why I have never owned one before, which is the fast wear it causes to slide finish. I have only holstered and unholstered it maybe 15-20 times just to test fit everything and it is already starting to have very slight wear on the muzzle end where it contacts the end of the holster.

Long story short, I have read online that many people use moleskin self adhesive patches ( found in any drugstore in the footcare isle ) on the very end near the muzzle to reduce/eliminate the wear on that part. Apparantly it's simple to put on, works really well, and can be replaced very easily.

has anyone tried this before on a kydex holster? and if you have any pics that would be even better!

Jeff,
I tried it on the inside of this RM Low Rider IWB i was telling you about, (www.rmholsters.com) for a Glock; i just used the pads you buy from CVS or Wally or whatever. Only problem I had was it tended to pick up grit and scratch the beautimus finish on my pistola.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
he doesn't keep a pistol long enough to worry about that. it's short term.....very short term

Very funny Kendall, Although it is pretty much true.

I am trying to beat a record and keep it at least 6 months! LOL. although I did have a custom Glock 19 that I kept for over 2 years! that is a personal record for me.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real men carry Mexican Style... :mean:

Holster? Holster! We don't need no stinkin' HOLSTERS!

Well - actually - only the stupid, the desperate or thugs carry Mexican Style. But HEY! Someone had'ta say it. :naughty:

Latest posts

Top Bottom