Early Season Honkers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy and I put the smack down on them this morning! We ended up with fifteen, but could have easily had a limit. We needed 3 more when the last group came in and had to make sure we didn't shoot over our limit. A little miss communication casued us to only take two out of the group. Oh well, always better to be careful. We decided to pack it up after that before the rain got too heavy.

These early season birds are pretty easy to lock up when you find where they want to be. 18 full body decoys and a few clucks is all it took. I certainly hope this is a good sign for the season to come.

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_photo3_1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a load of geese! How do your prepare them. Killed a lot of game in my day, but never a goose.

I was outside just a bit ago, and had the geese flying over the house. About 3 minutes later.....BOOM! BOOM, and its been going on all evening. Those hunters are cleaning up on them it sounds like :D

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never killed a goose. Do people breast them out like turkey? How do you cook it ? Does it taste like duck?

Lots of ways to do it. You can filet the breast meat off the bone, or pluck them whole. If we kill a lot like today, we usually just breast them due to the time it takes to pluck all the feathers. As far as cooking, theres no limit to what you can do. If I pluck a bird I like to stuff it with apples and slow cook it in the oven or in the smoker. If I breast them, I prefer to cut them in strips and roll them up with jalapeno and bacon and put on the grill. They're really good to make into sausage as well!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a load of geese! How do your prepare them. Killed a lot of game in my day, but never a goose.

I was outside just a bit ago, and had the geese flying over the house. About 3 minutes later.....BOOM! BOOM, and its been going on all evening. Those hunters are cleaning up on them it sounds like :D

Dennis, I listed a couple of ways I like to prepare them in my reply to Keystone. These are going to Siegi's though. I'm going to have them made into a variety of sausages. They have a jalapeno/cheddar that is out of this world. It's great with venison, so I'm curious what the goose will come out like.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way to sack em up Jason. Hope you get a bunch more.

Thanks Lonnie! We'll be taking a little break from the waterfowl to chase Bambi starting the 1st, but will be back at it sometime in November. I love to deer hunt, but nothing gets me more excited than getting birds to dive into the decoys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom