What is a good group with your bow and at what distance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting my new to me bow the last few weeks in the back yard, working on accuracy and at 20 yards I feel fine, haven't stepped back any farther yet though. I figured its kind of like basketball practice, no need to scoot back farther until you can nail the easy ones.

I was wondering how tight of group should you make and at what distance, before you go start slinging arrows in the woods.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of groupings are you getting at 20 yards?

I am not the most accurate with a bow or a rifle. I am pretty shaky. I usually shoot out to 40 yards and get get pretty decent groups this far. All within a 6-8 inch circle of each other. Is that good or bad?? I'm not sure its not the best. I am not using high end equipment either. I use a lower end Hoyt that is around 7-8 years old. I think my biggest problem is me not the equipment though.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting my new to me bow the last few weeks in the back yard, working on accuracy and at 20 yards I feel fine, haven't stepped back any farther yet though. I figured its kind of like basketball practice, no need to scoot back farther until you can nail the easy ones.

I was wondering how tight of group should you make and at what distance, before you go start slinging arrows in the woods.

It all depends on the average shot you can make with your bow (Draw Weight is Key)
You should have a minimum of 5-6" groups @45- 50 yards before it is really "Ethical" to hunt. If you are ringing in the 3-4" bell @ 30 then you should be fine.
JMHO

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, probably opening a can of worms, but if you can keep them inside a pie plate at any distance, youre in good shape for deer. That said, I think a reasonable expectation is 1" out to 20 after that I would match the inches to the yardage. 3" at 30, 4" at 40 etc. If I can maintain that or better, I am happy which is good because thats about the best my eyes can do at those yardages. I also like to start at my longest pin which is 40 yards because that helps me keep the tired shakes to the shorter ranges. Good luck!

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, Archery Hunting isn't about HITTING the Deer it is about KILLING the Deer. If you take a bad shot on a game animal at 50 yards only to miss and injure it then you shouldn't be hunting. Let's strive to be Safe, Ethical Hunters.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its great to be able to shoot groups out to 40 yards and such, but to be honest with you, I bet the majority of your shots you will get will be from 15-25 yards.. Set yourself up for shots like that when you set your stands..

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, probably opening a can of worms, but if you can keep them inside a pie plate at any distance, youre in good shape for deer. That said, I think a reasonable expectation is 1" out to 20 after that I would match the inches to the yardage. 3" at 30, 4" at 40 etc. If I can maintain that or better, I am happy which is good because thats about the best my eyes can do at those yardages. I also like to start at my longest pin which is 40 yards because that helps me keep the tired shakes to the shorter ranges. Good luck!

That is a good thought. I usually work the other way. But that makes alot of sense. I will try that way and see if that helps my practicing any.

Another question while talking about practicing, usually how many shots a day or session does most people take? I have never really counted and shoot till my shoulder starts to feel it which usually isn't long.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, Archery Hunting isn't about HITTING the Deer it is about KILLING the Deer. If you take a bad shot on a game animal at 50 yards only to miss and injure it then you shouldn't be hunting. Let's strive to be Safe, Ethical Hunters.

I agree which is why I wanted to make sure I am accurate enough to shoot at a deer. I hate watching deer or other game get shot with an arrow in the back leg, knowing they will suffer most likely before they expire.

I have been shooting about a 4-6 inch group at 20 yards @65lb draw. I feel comfortable at that range, but standing in your backyard with peace of mind is a little different then when a deer walks in to your left and you have to turn and hit them accuareltly.

I try to shoot at a few diff angles if possible, just bc you never know what shot will be presented to you.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My groups at 30 yards.

FB_OG_default_600x315.jpg

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its great to be able to shoot groups out to 40 yards and such, but to be honest with you, I bet the majority of your shots you will get will be from 15-25 yards.. Set yourself up for shots like that when you set your stands..

Agreed. Also, regardless of accuracy at 40+ yards there is a much higher percentage of bad shots simply from deer getting a jump on the arrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom