Older Bow Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all.

A friend of mine purchased a PSE bow about 3 years ago on ebay. I'd like to buy the bow but have a few concerns about it's safety. It was a couple years old when he got it and has been in the case since then. To my knowledge it hasn't been shot much or at all since he bought it. It's never been maintained and the limbs are set at the highest draw weight.

If I buy/trade for it, should I have it looked at by a pro? I would like to get back into bow hunting on occasions and this is a nice set up.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll want to have new strings and cables put on it after sitting that long, so you might as well have the bow shop look at it.

Re-string it, set your poundage where you want it, and dial her in.

Nothing much could go wrong (other than needing new strings and cables) unless the bow was someone damaged by someone before/during storage.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll take it by a shop and get some new cords and what nots.

This bow stuff is pretty new to me. I noticed a lot of guys shooting targets in their back yard. What do you need for that as far as a backstop? I imagine an arrow can go through a fence pretty easily.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what you want is a bag target .. costs about $60 for a large one. or if you've got several old sleeping bags, stuff a bag and make your own.

much easier to buy one and be done. then place bales of hay behind bag target or some type of wood backstop for those arrows that get through a soft spot.

much safer to change your string and know where you are at.
there's several inexpensive bow press available if you want to do it yourself.

[Broken External Image]

Thanks. I'll take it by a shop and get some new cords and what nots.

This bow stuff is pretty new to me. I noticed a lot of guys shooting targets in their back yard. What do you need for that as far as a backstop? I imagine an arrow can go through a fence pretty easily.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a shop that knows PSE bows take a look at it. You will need to have your draw length measured and then the bow set for that. Draw lenth adjustment could be as simple as moving a cam module to a different location, or could require a cam replacement. Your draw weight should be set to a comfortable weight that doesn't require you to "sky draw" to pull it back. A new string and cable are also a good idea. This is a very bad time of year to get a string and cable quickly. If the shop has it, you could be in business in a few days, or quicker if you catch them during a lull. If the string isn't in stock expect a hefty wait as string manufacturers are typically a month behind this time of year.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Timely thread. Sadly my bow has been sitting in the case literally for years.

Providing I get it re-strung, there should be no problem with the limbs?

How much are we talking for re-string/cable these days?

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Providing I get it re-strung, there should be no problem with the limbs?

How much are we talking for re-string/cable these days?

The limbs should be fine, but a bit of an inspection is in order. A new string and cable should run around $80-$100 depending on brand of string and cable. That would be an installed price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom