Legal to hunt Coyotes and Feral Hogs at night?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our "general regulations" state "legal shooting hours"
1/2 before sunrise and 1/2 after sunset
Now then, a GW can give a "land owner" a "night shooting permit" but the permit is only given to the land owner and to use on his own property. The land owner can allow others to use it on those properties after being OK'ed by the GW.
I went through this this summer on my uncles place trying to thin out some hogs.
But I've also had GW tell us we could shoot yote at night depending on the area and we had to notify him before hand, I'm assuming he didn't want to deal with paper work?

Oh yes, on my uncles place. The GW wouldn't issue us a permit for guns at night but was fine with us using a bow.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen an actual written permit for night hunting. When it was during deer season, GW took down all of our license #'s and legal description of where we were going to be. It was for the land owner and for three others that he chose ahead of time. If he did any further paperwork other than that, I couldn't tell you. In a different area now and we call the GW and he just gives a verbal OK.

Came across this thread on another site, although it is a year and a half old...

http://www.okpredatorhunters.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=55622

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's where I am confused... My PVS-14 doesn't need any artificial light. Therefore, I think it would be okay to hunt hogs at night with a firearm or a bow. I would be okay with either. Taking coyotes would be a plus, but I would be okay with just hogs. I'll just call my local GW and see what his thoughts are on it.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Jake

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spoke with my local GW. He said that a night vision "scope" is a no go. A monocular, like my PVS-14 is okay since it is not mounted to the firearm. Also, spotlighting is okay too. However, you have to have a permit to hunt coyotes or hogs at night. This permit can be made out for a week or a year. The permit must be requested by the land owner. Any number of "shooters" can be included on the permit that is submitted by the landowner. Your local GW would have to come out to the land and see the need for the permit. If he agrees, then he can issue the permit right there on the spot. This is what my local GW told me. Each might have a different view of the rules.

Thanks,

Jake

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spoke with my local GW. He said that a night vision "scope" is a no go. A monocular, like my PVS-14 is okay since it is not mounted to the firearm. Also, spotlighting is okay too. However, you have to have a permit to hunt coyotes or hogs at night. This permit can be made out for a week or a year. The permit must be requested by the land owner. Any number of "shooters" can be included on the permit that is submitted by the landowner. Your local GW would have to come out to the land and see the need for the permit. If he agrees, then he can issue the permit right there on the spotlights. This is what my local GW told me. Each might have a different view of the rules.

Thanks,

Jake
Hmm... I think this is what I said...lol

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The permit for coyotes is only good for 24 hours and is for shotgun with #6 shot or smaller only. The reg is not listed in the annual hunting regs but is on their web page.
For what it's worth, there are several wardens that either don't know about the reg or try and tell you it is up to them if you get a permit or not. I have had 3 wardens refuse to give me a permit only to be told by their boss to give me one.
Hope this helps you.

Scott

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(4) Night hunting of coyotes. It shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes within the period of dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and/or any sight dog. Persons hunting at night must first obtain permission from the County Game Ranger. Anyone hunting at night must use a shotgun, utilizing size 6 shot or smaller.
[Source: Amended at 8 Ok Reg 2425, eff 6-13-91; Amended at 11 Ok Reg 4289, eff 7-25-94; Amended at 14 Ok Reg 3238, eff 7-25-97; Amended at 23 Ok Reg 1583, eff 7-1-06; Amended at 24 Ok Reg 2471, eff 7-1-07; Amended at 26 Ok Reg 2638, eff 7-11-09]

Here you go!

Latest posts

Top Bottom