Legal to hunt Coyotes and Feral Hogs at night?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking on the wild life department website and can't seem to find a definitive answer on a question I have.

Is it legal to hunt coyotes and hogs at night with the use of a night vision monocular like a PVS-14 on a private hunting lease?

Thanks,

Jake

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, game wardens are pretty liberal about giving permission to spotlight hogs, except during deer season... which is when the pecans fall and farmers want to protect their crop. During that period we had to actually prove that the hogs were a nuisance to the crops and they would come out and inspect and then would allow it, but they would always only give a week permit when normally they'd give 30 days. At any other times we just call and let them know where we were going to be and they say have at it. I'm sure that varies from warden to warden, as it is somewhat a judgement call.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to call my local warden and speak with him/her. I didn't want to waste their time if it was obviously illegal. Sounds like there is a grey area that might benefit me.

Thanks,

Jake

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please show us a link to the regulations that back your statement up.
Not sure its in the regs, there is no season on yotes and no limit. The game warden told me to warn him if I would be spotlighting yotes at night so if anyone reported it, he would know it was me.

Same principle with burning my pasture off in spring the fire department asks that you tell them so when the passerby sees it and calls it in, they know its me and a controled burn.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My warden told me no for hogs at night. Must abide by the regulations.

He must have had some reasoning for not allowing it, I don't think "you must abide by the regulations" is the best of answers, but it is his call. Was this on your own land that you were refused?

As far as coyotes goes...

"It shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and any sight dog."

That being said, there are probably special provisions for depredation permits if deemed necessary by your local warden, but I would ask no one but them specifically. Backpeddling with a warden shining a light in your face, regurgitating what you "read on the internet" probably won't get your butt out of a pickle... but it may get the pickle out of your butt when you pucker!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be a clause in the regs about hunting coyotes at night with a shotgun only, no bigger than #6 shot, and with the game wardens written permission. I can't find it in this years regs. I tried it a few times back in the day but it just frustrated me to not be able to kill them well. The regs now that say no shooting from dark to daylight with the aid of any light. That seems to leave it open to a night vision scope that you don't need a light with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom