Sister in law and firearms......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, this was interesting today. Here's the back story. Although I live in SoCal I am married to and Oklahoma Girl. We met at OSU. So for the past 15 or so years I have been a hunter. My father in law taught me, basically all I know about deer hunting. I was into guns before I met her and enjoyed shooting with friends. I have an 8 year old son whom, between my FIL and I, have taught the safe handling of firearms and how to shoot properly. We have bought seveal guns for him to include a .22 Henrey Youth Bolt, H&R single shot .410 and an H&R single shot .243. I have had I'm out in the blind with me as well. He also loves playing with his nerf guns and probably has a dozen or more. That's all his friends do when they come over.

Now, I have a nephew who is turning 4 years old next week. When he is over he and my son play sword fighting and also with nerf guns. My brother is conservative and, guess what, my sister in law is a bleeding heart liberal. Seeing how much fun my nephew has playing with the nerf guns she asked my SIL about getting him a little nerf gun for his birthday. She hesitated and since she is pregnant and due in December she said she didn't know if having the little nerf bullets around wasma chocking hazard down the line. She then emails my wife today saying that she thought about it and that she didn't think it was a good idea to get him one now because he is running around the house using everyday objects as guns and going "bang". Apparently using his fingers to make a gun and shooting things as well.

My wife and I were disgusted with a response like this. It's her child and her beliefs but there is just something about the way she handled this that really bothers me. I see it that the children that are sheltered from firearms are the ones who become infatuated with them as older children or teenagers and this infatuation can lead to very bad thing happening to them or other children when a gun is found in a home and the parents aren't around.

I have no plans to confront her or my brother about this but do you feel it would be a good idea in a year or so to talk to them about the importance of firearms safety even though they do not own any guns. If I were to guess, I would say they will never give him proper guidance on guns and what to do when/if he or one of his friends find one in their parents homes.

What say you? Give me your opinion.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't what most want to hear but......It isn't your kid so it isn't your place to say anything. If you want invite them and thier kid to a hunters safety course first. Or offer to take them to a firearms training course some time without kids, and it would prob have to be on your dime.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you want tense Thanksgiving gatherings let them be.

You all must not have read the entire post. I said I had no plans to confront them at this time. Also, I feel that this is not the thread from several months ago with the guy asking if he should confront a fat SIL and tell her that she use to be hot and now she looks like a pig. When my nephew is old enough to understand the potential dangers of firearms and I talk to my brother and SIL about gun safety and they get bent out of shape about the issue I could really care less if Christmas or other family events are tension filled. If they are narrow minded enough to at least not talk to him about gun safety then so be it.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Parks, I've read your entire post and agree with you. Whether the parents like it or not, kids should be instructed about gun safety. Teaching kids about guns is never a bad thing, no matter what their liberal mother may think.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the case of you SIL, remember, "you can,t fix stupid." I have relatives who condemn my "addiction" to firearms, but all my grandchildren have been taught to use and respect guns. Just my way!

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just have to sit back and feel bad for the kid that is being held back from something he could potentially enjoy due to his parents' fear mongering.

Sad, but true... *nuuuuun nun nun nunanunanuna nunnnnnn nun nun* (Bangs head)

Latest posts

Top Bottom